07s wheels on an 09s

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2015, 12:30 AM
1st Gear Member
Default 07s wheels on an 09s

Can anyone tell me if 07 wheels bolt right on to an 09? I have seen others mention that the S
Speedo changed between these model years but I am not sure if it is a different pickup in the wheel. I checked part #s and the hubs all seem to have different numbers but that could mean nothing.

Old 01-22-2015, 04:03 AM
1st Gear Member

I think that the rear would bolt up but the 07 has a smaller rear rotor vs. the 09. The front uses a different speedo drive-the 07 has a mechanical drive and the 09+ uses a speed sensor.

Old 01-23-2015, 12:06 AM
1st Gear Member

I think the rear rotor bolt sizes are different too, newer being larger? You could easily tap the hub for the larger bolts, or have it done for cheap.
Someone here knows for sure, this is where I read it, Mark(KLX678) maybe?.
The front speedo should be fine, as long as the bearing in the wheel has the same speedo tabs. You could, most likely, swap bearings if they are different.

Old 01-23-2015, 12:47 AM
1st Gear Member

Interesting. I think I read that the bolt pattern was different but I didn't realize the rotors were smaller. Unless I hear otherwise about the Speedo not working I may go try them on and see if they fit.

Thanks

Old 01-23-2015, 01:10 AM
1st Gear Member

Bolt pattern is the same, just a size difference in the bolt and bolt hole.
A bigger disc needs bigger bolts according to the engineers, I'm guessing.

Old 01-23-2015, 11:22 AM
1st Gear Member

I can confirm that the rear disc brake have the same bolt patern, I did put a 2009 rear brake on a 2007 rear wheel. I don't know about the front.

Old 01-23-2015, 05:01 PM
1st Gear Member

Just to confirm, the rotor diameter is different but the bolt pattern/size is the same?

Old 01-24-2015, 12:37 AM
1st Gear Member

The front won't fit because of the odometer drive. The machined part of the hub for the drive is very different. '09 is smaller OD and narrower at the drive tabs.

Also as mentioned the brake rotor diameters are an issue, but could be worked around.

Old 01-24-2015, 02:55 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by phil_r
Just to confirm, the rotor diameter is different but the bolt pattern/size is the same?
exactly

Old 01-24-2015, 03:24 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by MaximusPrime
I think the rear rotor bolt sizes are different too, newer being larger? You could easily tap the hub for the larger bolts, or have it done for cheap.
Someone here knows for sure, this is where I read it, Mark(KLX678) maybe?.
The front speedo should be fine, as long as the bearing in the wheel has the same speedo tabs. You could, most likely, swap bearings if they are different.
I originally thought I had 300 wheels, but it was only the rotors, not the wheels.

I did some digging on the US Kawasaki parts site and found the 07 250 runs the larger bolts like the 09, so hubs would be interchangeable with only the speedo drive being the question.

After looking, the 300 runs a smaller rotor bolt, apparently my hubs were the 09, but I have no idea why they didn't have the petal cut rotors. I had to drill the 300 rotor I got for the rear. I am going to the 07 rear brake carrier/caliper to keep the smaller rotor, a bit less forceful rear brake will suit my style. The rotor bolts are different sizes, but the 300 rotor is the small bolt, so it would be simple to drill and tap to the larger size.

I don't know if the front was original, again it did have the slotted style rotor that isn't correct for an 09. The front hub for the 09 also uses larger diameter rotor bolts, again, the 300 hub can be drilled and tapped. I think the speedo drive can be fitted, but I don't know that for sure. If it could be compared to about any earlier KLX it might show. I'm thinking all that would need modified would be either the dogs on the speedo drive or those on the hub to make the two mate up.

Last edited by klx678; 01-24-2015 at 03:37 AM.

Quick Reply: 07s wheels on an 09s