07 KLX250 Electric Start Problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2016, 01:50 AM
1st Gear Member
Default 07 KLX250 Electric Start Problem

Started having starting issues last time it got cold here in Alabama, about a year ago.

Long story short, initially it was a mechanical problem so I rebuilt the carbs. Got everything back together and now I'm dealing with electrical problems.

When I hit the starter with the key on, bike in neutral, kick stand up, and kill switch disengaged, I get a single click from the starter solenoid. Lights are running just fine and neutral light is lit up.

I've replaced the battery and spark plugs just to be safe. Still have the same problem with the new battery. I even took the new one back for another new one because I thought it was a dud.

To date, I have taken the starter motor off and hard wired it to a battery. It spun just fine. Today, I took off the left crank case, pulled the torque limiter, and hit the starter. The motor spun just fine with no more clicking. As soon as I put the torque limiter back in I get the clicking again. This tells me I don't have enough power getting from the battery to the starter to turn the motor over.

I've cleaned as many ground connections and other leads that I have been able to find, but I still can't seem to figure out where I'm losing power/amperage.

Damn electrical problems. Anybody have any ideas?

Last edited by lymbic; 11-07-2016 at 01:52 AM.
Old 11-07-2016, 03:57 AM
1st Gear Member

How many volts do you have at the starter terminal when cranking?

If you run a heavy guage wire(booster cable works) from the positive battery terminal to the post on the starter does it crank? If so the problem is electrical, wiring or bad relay. If not the starter could be bad.

If you hold the start button down and tap the starter does it crank? If so the starter motor is going/gone and needs replacing.

Have you checked the grounds?

Old 11-07-2016, 11:42 AM
1st Gear Member

Next thing to try:
1: I would remove the starter idle gear that connects the starter to the big gear, on my bike the bearing on this gear (about 2" dia) on the engine case side was shot and the gear jams when you hit the starter. You can google the forum for my pictures and situation.
2: Test the relay for bad contacts by taking the positive battery cable off, disconnect the relay, jumper the relay with a heavy wire with a 20A light switch, reconnect the battery and throw the light switch. If it spins, the relay contacts are shot.
3: If that fails, you may have a failed starter windings. You'll have to get a DC motor man to look at it.

Old 11-07-2016, 01:19 PM
1st Gear Member

FYI, if you find that you need a starter I have one for sale.

Old 11-07-2016, 01:35 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by durielk
Next thing to try:
1: I would remove the starter idle gear that connects the starter to the big gear, on my bike the bearing on this gear (about 2" dia) on the engine case side was shot and the gear jams when you hit the starter. You can google the forum for my pictures and situation.
2: Test the relay for bad contacts by taking the positive battery cable off, disconnect the relay, jumper the relay with a heavy wire with a 20A light switch, reconnect the battery and throw the light switch. If it spins, the relay contacts are shot.
3: If that fails, you may have a failed starter windings. You'll have to get a DC motor man to look at it.
I had almost forgot about that bearing scenario in your situation. That was interesting. The OP's bike is about 10 years old now and depending on mileage, a possibility.

Old 11-08-2016, 12:25 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Clay Hardock
How many volts do you have at the starter terminal when cranking?

If you run a heavy guage wire(booster cable works) from the positive battery terminal to the post on the starter does it crank? If so the problem is electrical, wiring or bad relay. If not the starter could be bad.

If you hold the start button down and tap the starter does it crank? If so the starter motor is going/gone and needs replacing.

Have you checked the grounds?
Had the new battery on trickle charge last night and the battery read 13.06V when I pulled the charger off today. Hit the starter and once, let off and voltage immediately dropped to 12.2. It came back up to 12.6 within a few minutes on its own (no charger), but this still seems like its low.

I've jumpered the relay by disconnecting the lead opposite the positive post on the battery and touching it to the other terminal on the relay. Same single click.

Tried tapping the starter with a hammer while holding the electric start button and started getting machine gun like clicking out of the relay after about 5 whacks. Didn't read the voltage at the relay until this point. Started with almost 0V when I was getting one click and climbed to 5V when I got the machine gun clicking. Unfortunately, the resting voltage by this time was 11.9 so I put it back on the trickle.

I've cleaned the frame ground at the ignition coil and the engine ground on the left rear of the transmission. I believe there's another visible ground on the top left side of the radiator. This one looks good too. Am I missing more?

Last edited by lymbic; 11-08-2016 at 12:30 AM.
Old 11-08-2016, 12:52 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by durielk
Next thing to try:
1. Bike has over 10k miles, but the starter idle gear doesn't look too terrible. I couldn't get it all the way out, so I took two photos with the gear rotated 180 for reference. It rotated freely by hand.

2. I don't have any heavy gauge wire laying around, but I did try the other jumper method and it didn't turn over.

3. Any DC experts out there??

Attached Thumbnails 07 KLX250 Electric Start Problem-1.jpg   07 KLX250 Electric Start Problem-2.jpg  
Old 11-08-2016, 11:39 AM
1st Gear Member

In your picture is the shaft with 2 gears, pull that out and look at the case bearing.

I think it's your battery though, jump the whole battery with some jumper cables to your car battery. If it still just rattles, it's the motor.