'04 klx250s...what next??

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2014, 06:07 PM
1st Gear Member

Well...all together and it rips!!!
Went and a 10km ride and I love it, the sound, extra power and throttle response. I'm getting some decel popping at higher revs though...what does that mean??

So on my test ride I found a long, moderately inclined hill, I line up and in 3rd gear it pulled hard at 1/2 throttle, then again at WOT. I hit the rev limiter and thought I can a lean condition but I looked down and saw the RPMs bouncing at 10.5k. OMG I haven't ever hit the rev limiter until today!! This is awesome. Loafting the front end is much easier, but still no power wheelies, maybe it's my technique?? Clutch ups take less throttle though and I can loaft the front end at will.
Sound, very throaty, sounds like a 450f MXer, not very stealthy, I'll have to keep my urban hooliganism to a minimum. Lol
Stay tuned. Ill do up a vid shorty...

Old 09-27-2014, 08:06 PM
1st Gear Member

Sorry to give you some better news - at our elevations our bikes run great with the #128.

Then I dyno tested - Holy Grunt Cakes - WAY too lean ! Up to about 16:1 !
I put in the #132 and retested -
The #132 gave me 1 additional HP in the upper RPM range and really woke up the over-rev - but AFR still spikes up to 15:1....

Raised the needle (put the clip one notch lower on the needle) and you can see the results on my exhaust system dyno test shoot-out. +.5 lb ft of TRQ.

So you should have at least one more HP available with just a jet change. "Doing up" the needle can bring a bog every one in a while when snapping to WOT but gets the AFR nearly correct.

See it all and my power wheelie vid on my sig line..
BTW - lid off , screen still on,

Last edited by Klxster; 09-27-2014 at 08:15 PM.
Old 09-28-2014, 04:32 PM
1st Gear Member

Correction to my last post, power wheelies are possible, in first at least. What's really nice I can loaft the front end at stopped almost, with a little clutch. I've been window shopping like mad for a big bore kit...300,331,351...or maybe just the MCM mod when I do the valve check in 400km??

Will I notice a big difference doing the MCM mod?? Knowing what I have now, will I need to re-jet, adjust needle?? Not like it's hard...

Matty

Old 10-01-2014, 08:47 AM
1st Gear Member

"Will I notice a big difference doing the MCM mod?? Knowing what I have now, will I need to re-jet, adjust needle?? Not like it's hard..."

The MCM - with the stock header and slip-on - will create a sharp rise in TRQ right off idle and hold it well as RPM's rise. Yes, you will notice a significant difference. However, the DJ kit can't feed the MCM a rich enough AFR near sea level. All we can do is use the #132 and put the clip one notch lower on the needle.

Old 10-01-2014, 03:25 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Klxster
"Will I notice a big difference doing the MCM mod?? Knowing what I have now, will I need to re-jet, adjust needle?? Not like it's hard..."

The MCM - with the stock header and slip-on - will create a sharp rise in TRQ right off idle and hold it well as RPM's rise. Yes, you will notice a significant difference. However, the DJ kit can't feed the MCM a rich enough AFR near sea level. All we can do is use the #132 and put the clip one notch lower on the needle.
Any idea how the torque curve will look after the MCM with both the stock header and stock muffler?

Thanks

Old 10-01-2014, 06:15 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Klxster

That sounds very promising....and is now on my must-do list. Having ridden a KDX220 for quite a few hrs I came to love bottom end torque that doesn't quit easily. My DRZ does it very well also and I would love to extract all that the little KLX is capable of producing.
Thx

Old 10-01-2014, 06:22 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by oldgypsy
Any idea how the torque curve will look after the MCM with both the stock header and stock muffler?

Thanks
I don't have any experience with dyno-testing pipes, but usually a larger head pipe assists mostly with higher(more air/gas flow) power as opposed to bottom-mid torque.....so I would expect it to work almost as well with stock stuff as a bigger pipe would when the flow is modest as in mid throttle and less.

Correct me, please, if this is wrong!

Old 10-01-2014, 07:16 PM
1st Gear Member

I have no idea what happens when you bolt back on that stock slip-on with its' soda straw outlet. Not something I'd ever do..

But, I did run my bike a few days when it was 101% stock - right after doing the MCM.
I will never forget the first time I let out the clutch and rolled on the throttle - It was a "oh hell yeah" moment. The MCM should be mandatory even for a 100% dead stock bike.

Old 10-01-2014, 07:44 PM
1st Gear Member

As an experiment I ran my stock silencer, uncorked, see clost rod mod
With my current jetting it was extremely rich with the snorkel removed, I removed the lid and she seems happy, maybe a tad rich on the bottom. I'm gonna go 2.5 turns out on the a/f screw to see if it helps, otherwise though it seems good.

I haven't taken her up to elevation yet, I will this weekend. What kind of symptoms should I be looking for while going to 2000'??

At the end of the month I'm doing the MCM and rejet again, I'll also going back to the hindle exhaust. It is unfortunate that after the MCM you lose power above 8.5k as the dynojet kit has really woken up this area of the power curve. But more bottom end is better for the bush, where this bike is built for...

Oh and my mileage has suffered, maybe I'm just on the pipe more since the mods??

Tires, anyone use the Dunlop geomax??
http://www.usedvictoria.com/classifi...tires_23088964

Old 10-01-2014, 08:58 PM
1st Gear Member

what is the "MCM Mod"?

Quick Reply: '04 klx250s...what next??