'04 klx250s...what next??

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2014, 05:00 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by MattyTracks
Thanks, very good post, my DJ kit is numbered 2152, the only difference vs the 2206 I can see is the 2206 supplies a drill to enlarge the vacuum port on the slide and the 2152 uses a lighter slide spring. I was wondering what was better? I'm sure it's subjective....

My bike doesn't have starting issues at the time but winter is coming so we will see. I just didn't know why folks were drilling out the starter jet???

I think I'll start with the 132 main, I'll bump down a size if I have to. I have some expeierance tuning 2 strokes, will the A/f screw adjust the same?? Screwing in richens, screwing out leans??

The silencer in the pic is the hindle slip on I picked up for $50 I'm polishing it up and refinished the mid pipe....I can't wait!!!!

I can't speak to the difference between a lighter spring vs. a larger vacuum hole. I suppose I'd try the spring first. If you go for a larger hole, it can be sealed with epoxy and the original size drilled in. The idea is to have a little faster throttle response so both methods should accomplish the task. The spring change is easier to take back to stock.

The 2206 DJ needle is a little more aggressive than the 2152. Some of us contemplate that it may be more appropriate for big bore installations.

I think you're on track with starting richer and working towards lean if needed. The screw is different than the 2Ts you're used to. It adjusts fuel flow, not air. In is lean, out is rich. So just turn your mind around.

Nice find on the Hindle. It looks a lot like the HMF I first tried, then switched to the FMF Q4 because the HMF was just too raspy and loud for my likes.

Originally Posted by Angier
Yes, 2 issues, I would like to try the 128 and I was wondering why, when HOT, it will sometimes crank for a while before firing ....or it may fire immediately, especially if the throttle isn't touched. I guess it seems a little inconsistent when warm.

The wife falls flat a few times each ride, usually slow speed tip overs and I probably score a few points picking the bike up off her. The KLX almost always starts immediately after these 'events'....when I would sorta expect an issue. The tip over on Sunday was within 300' and 5 minutes of spotting what must have been the longest cougar in the world. Someone once said to show a cougar no fear and we certainly did that!
My KLX with the stock carb would often not start right up when hot. A little opening of the throttle usually helped. Would the wife benefit from some lowering links? My GF has dumped it too on low speeds. She doesn't understand, or feel comfortable, that a little more speed makes it more stable. The cougar incident must have been quite interesting!

Last edited by IDRIDR; 09-24-2014 at 05:04 AM.
Old 09-24-2014, 04:16 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by IDRIDR
snipped for brevity...

My KLX with the stock carb would often not start right up when hot. A little opening of the throttle usually helped. Would the wife benefit from some lowering links? My GF has dumped it too on low speeds. She doesn't understand, or feel comfortable, that a little more speed makes it more stable. The cougar incident must have been quite interesting!
Oddly, sometimes a cracked throttle seems to help and other times it seems to hinder starting when warm.

I have installed adjustable links, shaved the seat 1.75", bar risers...mostly so I could raise the forks 1.25"+/-. She really likes the bike and the height now OK....until she stops in a poor location or forgets to get properly positioned for a turnaround on the trail.

We have progressed to where she can sort-of jump drainage ditches....except that she has to use speed due to lack of thrust to raise the front end. That's where the power mods/ throttle response are of most interest.
Thanks for the suggestions, they are much appreciated and will be most useful when I get the time, come winter.

Old 09-24-2014, 04:39 PM
1st Gear Member

Yes, I've had the same thing with the throttle when hot and mostly just got used to turning the motor without the throttle, then blipping the throttle once. Usually, but not always works for me when its hot.

Sounds like you've done well in setting the bike up for the lucky lady. Have you geared down also? Sounds like she now needs to spend some time practicing wheeling up the front. Not necessarily to ride a wheelie, but learning and mastering lofting techniques, with and without clutching. I couldn't loft the KLX when I first got it. Now I can loft and wheelie the heavy pig KLR, even with a full 5.5 gallons of fuel and tall gears, without slipping the clutch. Practice, practice!

Old 09-24-2014, 09:01 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by GBAUTO
What's with all of the bling???? Just bolt that ***** on and get dirty!

Haha, I'm kinda ****(haha ****) about keeping my bikes clean. Don't get me wrong when riding Im usually beating on it hard and don't worry too much about dropping it...hence the bike has more scratches than I've made payments plus it the wife saw my brand new bike filthy she might cut me off... no ****

Old 09-24-2014, 09:19 PM
1st Gear Member

I can't speak to the difference between a lighter spring vs. a larger vacuum hole. I suppose I'd try the spring first. If you go for a larger hole, it can be sealed with epoxy and the original size drilled in. The idea is to have a little faster throttle response so both methods should accomplish the task. The spring change is easier to take back to stock.

The 2206 DJ needle is a little more aggressive than the 2152. Some of us contemplate that it may be more appropriate for big bore installations.

I think you're on track with starting richer and working towards lean if needed. The screw is different than the 2Ts you're used to. It adjusts fuel flow, not air. In is lean, out is rich. So just turn your mind around.

Nice find on the Hindle. It looks a lot like the HMF I first tried, then switched to the FMF Q4 because the HMF was just too raspy and loud for my likes.
ek:
Ok makes sense on the needle as the 2206 is for the klx300....?
I'll start at 132 with the snorkel and screen removed, if it runs rich I'll pull the lid, if rich still ill rejet to the 128.

The previous owner of the hindle said it was loud and throaty. The guys I ride with trailer there bikes and ride two strokes and mx 4 strokes, I'll still be the quietest. And my neighbour rides a harly which I swear to God has no muffler at all, so I won't be the loudest on the block...so as long as I'm happy with the sound and performance we should be good to go!!!

Old 09-24-2014, 09:26 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by MattyTracks
Ok makes sense on the needle as the 2206 is for the klx300....?
I'll start at 132 with the snorkel and screen removed, if it runs rich I'll pull the lid, if rich still ill rejet to the 128.
Yes, the 2206 was produced for the KLX300, which shares the same carb as our 250.

Old 09-24-2014, 10:33 PM
1st Gear Member

Yes, I've had the same thing with the throttle when hot and mostly just got used to turning the motor without the throttle, then blipping the throttle once. Usually, but not always works for me when its hot.

Sounds like you've done well in setting the bike up for the lucky lady. Have you geared down also? Sounds like she now needs to spend some time practicing wheeling up the front. Not necessarily to ride a wheelie, but learning and mastering lofting techniques, with and without clutching. I couldn't loft the KLX when I first got it. Now I can loft and wheelie the heavy pig KLR, even with a full 5.5 gallons of fuel and tall gears, without slipping the clutch. Practice, practice!
Yes, installed a 13 tooth after the first few rides, she is very happy with loosing that tooth! I find that no-throttle, then a blip seems to work most times....if not immediately, at least it seems to work if it doesn't fire with closed throttle.

As for her clutch-lofting the front wheel, she wouldn't master that in this lifetime, maybe the next one? Haw! Actually, for a 53 year-young, primarily street rider (BMW700GS) she does exceptionally well off-road in almost all conditions. She is truly falling in love with the KLX, I see her smiling at it after a days ride.

Old 09-27-2014, 03:19 PM
1st Gear Member

Ok...update!!
Installed the hindle exhaust, it took some elbow grease to get the mid pipe inlet to fit into the header outlet, but she is together!!!

I'm currently doing the rejet...question; when I drilled out the A/f plug the a/f screw was completely tightened in...I thought this was strange??? Any way i backed it off 3 turns and installed the needle and 128 main, going in now...stay tuned!!!

Old 09-27-2014, 03:22 PM
1st Gear Member

As she sits now!
Name:  F6AC4668-015F-4C52-AFD3-E3F052338737.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  56.9 KB

Old 09-27-2014, 03:37 PM
1st Gear Member

The screw shouldn't have been that way but you don't need me to tell you that! Probably won't need choke for as long on a cold-start and respond to crawling-speed throttle a lot better.

I'm keen to hear your impressions of the jetting changes, our KLX came with the kit already installed.
My guess is that throttle response will be improved, especially 1/4 to 1/2, but I could be wrong(as usual) and that there is a little bit more power from 1/2 to full throttle.

Ok, made predictions, what did it *really* feel like?

Quick Reply: '04 klx250s...what next??