[AUS] DIY Shock and Fork revalve/service

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2014, 08:20 AM
1st Gear Member

Yesterday I finally managed to test the suspension out properly. I have nailed the jetting with my 351 kit and the bike is singing, so I was able to ride my favourite single track and fire trails properly.

I'm actually shocked to find myself saying this after being spoiled with the awesome suspension on my Beta, but I actually really enjoyed riding the KLX again. In the single I was able to lean the bike into corners and smash over rocks and logs with confidence - the wheels stuck to the ground awesomely and it made the behavior of the bike very predictable and confidence inspiring. On the fire trails I could jump the erosion mounds and flat-land quite comfortably, and on the long sweeping corners I could get the rear wheel slipping sideways and holding positions easily. I honestly never ever thought the KLX was capable of handling like it did.

So if you have been on the fence about revalving your suspension coz you're not sure it is worth it, let me reassure you, it is VERY worth it. The stock valving in the KLX shock and forks is terrible, and that's a great pity. With decent flowing pistons and a decent shim stack the suspension performs so differently that you would not believe it is the same bike. Even with the relative lack of adjustability with the clickers compare to my Beta (i.e. the lack of rebound damping clickers on the forks, and lack of high speed compression damping clickers on the shock) the improvement over the stock suspension is very good.

I'm really glad I decided to keep the KLX now