What kind of gas mileage are you all getting on the road?

Old 04-25-2006, 03:53 PM
1st Gear Member
Default What kind of gas mileage are you all getting on the road?

I have the KLX250S but a freind is seriously considering the 650 and would like an idea of the gas mileage a stock bike gets. I'm getting 70-80 on mine....but it's still stock..........

Old 04-26-2006, 06:41 PM
Default RE: What kind of gas mileage are you all getting on the road?

On my KLR650, depending on the style of riding, I get from 50 to 58 mpg.

The bike is all stock.

Old 04-27-2006, 02:47 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks, that's pretty decent. My 250, anemically stock, is getting over 70 if it sees a tank with no offroading. So far over 50 offroad but I've been keeping it between 5000-6500 rpm....enough for most of the stuff I ride. How well do the tires on your 650 handle offroad? IYO of course !

Old 04-29-2006, 08:32 PM

The tires on my KLR650 are probably 80 / 20 (on / off) tires. The front is an IRC GP-110 that is mounted backwards and the rear tire is a Duro HF904. They do well on gravel and hard packed dirt. Not the best in sand or mud. But that is why I have my KLX250S! It's the better dirt oriented dualsport from Kawasaki.

Now, if I'm planning on 600 miles, I take the KLR as it is a more road oriented bike and is quite comfy on long rides.

Hope this is what you're looking for.

Old 04-30-2006, 02:49 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks all, that is close enough, I wasn't looking for any exact numbers as there are SO MANY factors, just an idea.

As far as the 250S in muddy ruts, it's alright, but in that soft loamy wet leafy/needly crap we sometimes hit in the Appalacians...they STINK. Especially the front, it does not like to track straight for more than a few feet in the stuff I sometimes encounter. Not enough 'middle pieces'. I will be looking for something more aggressive as soon as these wear out, I ride 10% road and the roads are under 55....

Old 05-01-2006, 05:34 PM

I have a set of Pirelli MT-21's on my KLR250! They're awesome tires for off road riding! Work well in just about all situations I have had them in!

Old 05-01-2006, 09:56 PM
1st Gear Member

Are they DOT ?

Old 05-03-2006, 06:24 PM

They sure are!

Here's a picture of them:

And a review:

"Each month, new products come across our desk touting the latest technology, added features, and promises of performance gains. While we do our best to completely evaluate these new gadgets it is a difficult task to evaluate their long-term performance in a timely matter. This is important because first impressions often don't accurately reflect the overall rating a product should receive. The following "first impression" is such an example.

Several months ago we decided it was time for a new set of tires on our Suzuki DR 350 test bike. Actually, it was less a decision and more a necessity: The front tire had become so badly chunked that most of the ***** were missing altogether. Under the rear fender, however, was the saddest excuse for a dirt-bike tire there ever was - so little tread remained on the rim that not even the neighbors pit bull was interested in gnawing on it anymore! Did I mention that this was the second set of tires in less than a year of casual riding?

The problem wasn't the DR's torquey motor, nor was it caused by using cheap tires or non-stop brake burns. No - it was our error for putting dirt-only tires on a bike that was being ridden on both the street as well as in the dirt. While our initial choice of tires proved to be perfect for the soft dirt we frequently ride in, they simply couldn't hold up to the rigors of street abuse. What's a dirt junky to do?

Do what we did - install a set of Pirelli's MT-21 MX tires. Then, forget about them for a season or so. The Pirelli Rally Cross tires, as they're named, offer one of the most aggressive tread patterns available on a DOT-approved (Department Of Transportation, a regulatory body in the United States) tire and is designed to perform under a variety of conditions.

Do they work? You bet your power valve they work! We've logged several hundred on- and off-road miles with these bad boys and they're holding up just fine.

When traveling to the trail for a ride or making a run down to the local grocery store its immediately apparent that the Pirellis exhibit remarkably little road noise. That's because they were made to be used on the street. Off-road they handle exceptionally well and allow for aggressive riding without fear of tearing them apart. While designed for intermediate terrain, the MT-21 can easily be setup to perform well in both muddy or rocky conditions with a simple tire pressure adjustment.

The only noteworthy drawback to the Pirelli's is that they can instill such confidence in the rider that its possible to forget you're running street-approved tires. Because when the nitty gets gritty and you're desperately trying to beat your buddy down a trail or three - roosting him with dirt the whole way - you can forget the Pirellis are street-based tires and find yourself sliding off into the woods. Basically, though they're great all-around tires, the MT-21s just don't compare to full-on dirt racing tires. Luckily, the MT-21s are quite predictable and give ample warning before misbehaving.

If you are in the market for a dual purpose tire primarily intended for dirt use, then consider the MT-21. Their service life and versatility make them a good value, and we give them four (out of a possible five) stars.
"

Old 05-04-2006, 03:31 AM
1st Gear Member

What kind of 'tire pressure adjustment' are they talking about? Can letting out or adding a few pounds make them better offroad in some conditions? I know there is some usefulness to this on ATVs and I air my MT/Rs on my Jeep down to 7 psi in the rocks, but I didn't think there was much you could do to a dirt bike tire.

Old 05-04-2006, 06:52 PM

Be careful on dropping the pressure unless you have a set of rimlocks in place.

Anything below 18 pounds is not recommended as you could slip the tire on the rim, pulling the tube and possible break the valve stem.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What kind of gas mileage are you all getting on the road?