Thermo bob

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2016, 09:25 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Thermo bob

Hi all, I live in the uk and have read that it is a good idea to fit one of these thermo bob units, have you had any experience of fitting one ? Also if it is a good idea, where can I buy one or if anyone has got a kit for sale

Old 03-25-2016, 11:08 AM
1st Gear Member

I fitted one to my KLX250, no big deal, easy to do. I did it because the information made total sense, uniform temperatures around the cylinder versus the stock set up.

I'd recommend you see if you can get another KLR650 or KLX250 rider to go in with you if you have to buy new. Spread the shipping over a couple of units. I do it with the cam chain tensioners I sell. I can fit more than one in a box and only charge the rate it is for the box, so two tensioners spreads the charge over the two, three over three, up to five. That's what fits.

Old 03-25-2016, 12:18 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by snowwolf
Hi all, I live in the uk and have read that it is a good idea to fit one of these thermo bob units, have you had any experience of fitting one ? Also if it is a good idea, where can I buy one or if anyone has got a kit for sale
The Thermo Bob will help bring the bike up to temperature and keep it within a narrow temperature range.
It will not add to cooling capacity in any way.
It's main benefit is to get coolant up to operating temperature for those that live in cold climates.

You can purchase here
Thermo-Bob
or here
https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p...FdgVgQodk_wCHQ

Pro Cycle also sells a thermostat bypass system that does the same thing
https://www.procycle.us/bikepages/klr650.html#tstat

Doug

Old 03-25-2016, 05:59 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by dpippin
The Thermo Bob will help bring the bike up to temperature and keep it within a narrow temperature range.
It will not add to cooling capacity in any way.
It's main benefit is to get coolant up to operating temperature for those that live in cold climates.

You can purchase here
Thermo-Bob
or here
https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p...FdgVgQodk_wCHQ

Pro Cycle also sells a thermostat bypass system that does the same thing
https://www.procycle.us/bikepages/klr650.html#tstat

Doug
You are missing the vital function that the thermobob does, it isn't that it gets the system up to operating temps any quicker, it is that it keeps a more uniform temperature around the cylinder when the thermostat isn't totally open, allowing water flow around the cylinder with that connector hose. With the stock set up the thermostat blocks any flow unless it is starting to open. The hottest coolant remains at the top around the cylinder head, while the cooler stays at the bottom.

The ability to pump some of the water around all the time improves the uniformity of the coolant around the cylinder, which will make the cylinder temp more consistent - aka no cylinder taper due to non-uniform thermal expansion.

Of course when the thermostat is wide open the thermobob does nothing, fluid flow is open to go.

Old 03-25-2016, 08:09 PM
1st Gear Member

Hi all, thanks for the replies, I just ordered one from the link supplied, thank you, The Thermo Bob came about from me looking at the over heating problem I had, bearing in mind I have only had the bike a week didn't realize there was no cooling fan, seems ok until in traffic and the needle heads up near the red but comes back down when moving, I have just purchased a fan off ebay so should have it installed next week.