KDX220r Kickstarter bad design damages clutch case

Old 07-11-2006, 01:46 PM
Default KDX220r Kickstarter bad design damages clutch case

I own a 1998 KDX220r which has only 400 miles on it. Just had to drop out of a enduro when I discovered the kickstarted went around and punched a hole thru the clutch cover. This can happen on ANY KDX200 or 220 including current year models. At bottom of stroke kickstarter hits footpeg, however if your ankle turns slighlty outward the kickstarter starts to fold inward and trhat lets hit rotate thru farther thne the swivel of starter hits clutch case HARD. Very poor design which Kawasaki customer service says they never heard of. Jeff Freddette Products has heard of it !. Imagine that, a large motorcycle manufacturer denying a problem. Fredette's copmpany has a replacement starter that stops on top of the peg stopping the problem according to them. I imagine most people don't have the problem due to the fact that the stock starter wears out so fast that it points backwards so you foot slips off of it before reacing max travel. When I talked to Kawasaki customer service the person refused to even have a tech look at a bike in the warehouse or at a dealership to verify the problem. I guess if you stick your head in the sand long enough everything looks peachy. This is my first and LAST Kawasaki ever. PS I work for a Honda dealer and Honda would have had a field service tech take a look, Kawasaki says they don't have field service techs, they let their dealers handle all problems. Honda has the very similar design on CRF's except they put a bumb on starter that touches frame to prevent it from turning in at bottom of stroke. A bullet proof design.

Old 03-31-2007, 08:32 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: KDX220r Kickstarter bad design damages clutch case

Good to know! If I wind up buying a KDX the kick starter will be the first mod.

Old 03-01-2020, 02:38 PM
Default Anyone have a fix for this?

I’ve gone through 3 clutch covers! Is there an alternate kickstarter or a foot peg that blocks the kickstarter from hitting the clutch cover?