Kawasaki Quad's & ATV's Quad (Leisure) & ATV (Working) talk within here.

What are the bad points of the kfx 700?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2006, 05:15 PM
Default What are the bad points of the kfx 700?

Ive had a Suzuki Vinson 500 4x4, and a ltz-400(just sold) Now Im thinking about getting a Kfx-700. So, what I want to know is, what are the negatives as far as handling, mechanically, anything. CAn it go through deep water? Does it overheat? Are dual carbs a problem? Im going to go look at a 04 today. He wants $3700 for it, all stock except for the tie rods which are 06. Any feedback greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Old 10-10-2006, 05:37 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member
Default RE: What are the bad points of the kfx 700?

sorry don't know much about quads. but welcome to KF.

Old 10-12-2006, 11:00 PM

I have had the KFX700 for little more than a year now...
Negative points:
> Little too heavy for the sport category... little lazy handling due to its bulkiness. But it's got lots and lots of low end torque to compensate.
> Plastics seems too little fragile... I'm on my 2nd set. But I crashed...
> Front suspension tie rods bends easily on impact/crash - But I bent back.
> No digital dash meter - But I carry GPS to know speed, time, and WHERE I AM!
> Thirsty motor, of course. That's about right for a 700 V-twin motor.
> No rack or storage space. It's not a ute quad...
If you pick and nick, you will find some. On any quads. But KFX700 does the job WELL for its orignal intended use. Buy it if you want to ride fast trail riding, or dune, beach, fire road riding, this is it for you. The CVT is so much nicer than manual for my kind of lazy riding. For deep water? It's got the air intake pipe little above the air box. How deep are you saying?

Old 10-13-2006, 12:30 AM

We've had my wife's for a little over a year now too.

It's a super fun bike to ride!! I call it a "point and click" bike. Point it where you wanna go and hit the throttle.

Definetly not made for MX, I have a torn off set of a-arms, shock, and frame to prove that. It's big, heavy and too tall and narrow to carve a good corner. With that said though, you can do it with alot of body english and a good thumb (throttle control)

I would stay away from deep fording without waterproofing it first. It has a belt drive and i could see that giving you issues if you have the cover filled with water, although I don't know for sure.

The special edition plastics are crap. They break without wrecking. Touching them wrong can crack them. Go with plain ol green or orange if you buy one. You'll be glad you did.

Like said above the tierods are butter and that can really get you into trouble at high speed. I know, I lost the ability to turn after coming off a jump off camber and I got launched over a corner berm!!! Get an aftermarket set.

Other than that, I can't think of anything bad to say about it. Like I said, it's a damn fun bike!!

Old 10-18-2006, 11:14 PM
1st Gear Member

Hey nicky, welcome to kf.
I bought a 2004 kfx700 with the s/e lava color. It is a very good and fast quad, but really dont expect to race it on a track. Drag racing is fine and with a little modding can beat alot of other quads. Tie rods are junk but you can get differednt stronger ones. I would say its the closest a sport has ever come to being a utility. With all that said im sellin mine so if you near upstate ny hit me up.