Kawasaki Quad's & ATV's Quad (Leisure) & ATV (Working) talk within here.

KFX 450R won't start...

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 01:22 PM
Default KFX 450R won't start...

I have a 2008 KFX 450R that won't start. I got it in the water a few weeks ago. It ran fine til I parked it in the garage. The weather here has dropped to around 30 degrees since then. When I turn the switch on, The nuetral light is dim, you can't hear the fuel pump kick in, and it wont roll over. acts just like the battery is dead but it is checking out as full charge with no dead cells. I'm thinking I might have gotten moisture in the wiring but I'm not sure. Anyone have any clues?

Madvandale

Old 12-22-2008, 01:43 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

start unplugging molex connectors and blowing them out. the coil wires and fuse box too.
good luck! and welcome to KF

Old 12-22-2008, 02:28 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Is that a FI motor? Otherwise I would say drain the carb bowl, re-fil and get the battery charged up. Then try.

Old 12-22-2008, 02:36 PM
Default RE: KFX 450R won't start

What and where are the molex connectors? I am new to this game. And yes it is fuel injected. The battery is fully charged and tests out perfect. The power just isnt making it to the bike. I will try to blow it out.

Thanks,
Madvandale

Old 12-22-2008, 03:09 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

sorry molex connectors are the big plastic connectors on all the wiring. water can get in there and cause a short.
Originally Posted by madvandale
What and where are the molex connectors? I am new to this game. And yes it is fuel injected. The battery is fully charged and tests out perfect. The power just isnt making it to the bike. I will try to blow it out.

Thanks,
Madvandale

Old 12-22-2008, 07:28 PM

Thanks. I will check it out.

Madvandale

Old 12-23-2008, 01:07 AM
1st Gear Member

does it turn over at all? does it make any noises when you try to start it? and have you checked your oil yet?

Old 12-23-2008, 11:20 AM

No, it doesn't even turn over. One time you can hear the starter clutch spinning, then next time it won't even turn. And you could always hear the fueul pump kick in and shut off before it started, but now it doesn't even kick in. I do need to check the oil, though. It is do for it's first service. Only have about 15 hours on the bike.

Old 12-23-2008, 02:44 PM
1st Gear Member

Hey Welcome to KF, Hope you figure out the problem soon,, Def check the oil. Good Luck

When your done Post up some pics PLZ

Old 12-29-2008, 06:53 PM

HEY!! GOT IT FIGURED OUT!! After talking to the shop and you all on here, I tore the whole bike down and checked every connection. Still nothing. So,I called my dad up and explain how p*ssed I was. He is an old school machanic and a simplist. He told me..."OK, your battery has voltage but how about ampage?" That was it. Tested the battery and it had a full charge but was only putting out 1 amp. Got me a new battery and it runs like a dream again. I do want to thank you all for your input. I wouldn't have had a clue of where to even start without you.

Quick Reply: KFX 450R won't start...