Kawasaki Mule Discuss the multi purpose Mule within.

overheating, water in oil, fan has quit working

Old 01-15-2014, 06:20 PM
Default overheating, water in oil, fan has quit working

Mule 3010 gasoline engine.

I have a multitude of symptoms. It started with the Mule overheating and I quickly realized the fan had quit. There seemed to be no wiring issues, so to quickly resolve the problem I 'hot wired' the fan so I could get back to work. STILL the Mule overheated, so not a problem caused by the fan not working... I then discovered the oil was WAY above the full mark and was really thin. It was amazingly not discolored though, but I am guessing water may be getting into it.

Does anyone have any ideas as to where to start to diagnose this problem?

Old 01-16-2014, 07:18 AM
1st Gear Member

Head or base gasket?

Old 01-16-2014, 01:29 PM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

Agree with Richard^; sounds like classic head gasket to me. Start by doing a leak-down test. Is your coolant level appreciably lower, or are you "puking" out the over-flow tube on the reservoir? DO NOT run the engine until you can confirm the problem. If coolant is getting into your crankcase, it can do very bad things in a hurry.
Let us know what you find.

Old 01-16-2014, 08:28 PM

I really hadn't suspected the head gasket. I am just an old school shade tree mechanic. My previous experiences with blown head gaskets was a lot of visible leakage of all sorts around the engine where it is leaking.

I was thinking the water pump. I understand the water pump is driven off the cam shaft and that if the seals in it go, that would be another way for the coolant to get into the engine.

Now that you all have given me another thing to 'dwell' upon I guess it is time to roll up my sleeves and get to work. I do not have the test equipment, but I may go ahead and get it then I will have it for the future.

Last edited by Brad Brown; 01-16-2014 at 08:30 PM.
Old 02-07-2014, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by Brad Brown
I really hadn't suspected the head gasket. I am just an old school shade tree mechanic. My previous experiences with blown head gaskets was a lot of visible leakage of all sorts around the engine where it is leaking.

I was thinking the water pump. I understand the water pump is driven off the cam shaft and that if the seals in it go, that would be another way for the coolant to get into the engine.

Now that you all have given me another thing to 'dwell' upon I guess it is time to roll up my sleeves and get to work. I do not have the test equipment, but I may go ahead and get it then I will have it for the future.
Correct - Check your waterpump. It may also have a rusted out pin that drives the plastic impeller, or broken impeller. Just buy a new waterpump and gaskets if needed. Just did mine and a bunch of other work. Runs great now.
Jeff