Kawasaki Mule Discuss the multi purpose Mule within.

Intermittent Mule Starting Issue

Old 05-31-2016, 06:56 PM
Default Intermittent Mule Starting Issue

Hello All, thanks for looking at my situation. I am new to the UTV world, but not small engines. Hoping you can help and I thank you in advance for your support / suggestions. My neighbor gave me his old 550 mule, which needed some TLC.

It is a late model 2003 or earlier Kawasaki Mule 550, not sure of the VIN as I cannot locate it, and they re-painted / powder-coated it. However I was able to get the right new parts as they matched the old ones.

* I have replaced the entire electrical chassis wire harness (headlights to tail light)
* Brand new battery
* new starter relay
* Still have the same voltage regulator - not sure if this has failed - may need to test resistance
* battery reads 12.8 volts
* start and solenoid work
* not sure about the Neutral Safety Switch - I pulled it, (light green wire from harness attached) - what appears to be drop of oil on tip.

After I take the battery tender off the Mule, turn the key it starts up just fine and runs well. After using it for sometime or letting it run, after I shut it off, it will not start again via the key. I turn the key and nothing, no clicking, dimming of lights, nothing. It is as something i is blocking the starter trigger wire. If I remove the starter relay and test for voltages I get 12 volts on 1 prong and about 1 volt or so from the starter trigger wire (red / black) - if I turn the key, that wire registers 12v. If I jump the blades and turn the key - it starts no problem / every time.

These steps also work, with the starter relay plugged in, if I turn the key and touch the metal top of the relay on the chassis , you will hear the starter clicking and engage and eventually it will start. I find this odd as it started this morning, cold with no issue.

Is it a bad brand new relay?
that I just got, a bad regulator
the NSS?

I am drawing a blank, I called a few guys I know over at the local power sports service center and they could not think of anything.

Thanks for your help

Old 06-04-2016, 09:45 PM
Default It was the starter relay - SOLVED

In case anyone stumbles across this thread, apparently the "new" starter relay I got from Autozone wasn't compatible or it was defective. So I found a exact match, 056700-5260 Denso Heavy Duty Relay for $7.13. Note: the same relay found from other parts places on the internet, sells for $37+ so shop around first. Hope this helps someone who may have the same issue.

Last edited by cssmgt; 06-04-2016 at 09:49 PM.
Old 12-20-2016, 04:49 PM
1st Gear Member

Did this actually fix your intermittent starting issue?

Old 02-19-2021, 02:56 AM
Default Pro Mx mule 2020 starter issues

Originally Posted by cssmgt
Hello All, thanks for looking at my situation. I am new to the UTV world, but not small engines. Hoping you can help and I thank you in advance for your support / suggestions. My neighbor gave me his old 550 mule, which needed some TLC.

It is a late model 2003 or earlier Kawasaki Mule 550, not sure of the VIN as I cannot locate it, and they re-painted / powder-coated it. However I was able to get the right new parts as they matched the old ones.

* I have replaced the entire electrical chassis wire harness (headlights to tail light)
* Brand new battery
* new starter relay
* Still have the same voltage regulator - not sure if this has failed - may need to test resistance
* not sure about the Neutral Safety Switch - I pulled it, (light green wire from harness attached) - what appears to be drop of oil on tip.

After I take the battery tender off the Mule, turn the key it starts up just fine and runs well. After using it for sometime or letting it run, after I shut it off, it will not start again via the key. I turn the key and nothing, no clicking, dimming of lights, nothing. It is as something i is blocking the starter trigger wire. If I remove the starter relay and test for voltages I get 12 volts on 1 prong and about 1 volt or so from the starter trigger wire (red / black) - if I turn the key, that wire registers 12v. If I jump the blades and turn the key - it starts no problem / every time.

These steps also work, with the starter relay plugged in, if I turn the key and touch the metal top of the relay on the chassis , you will hear the starter clicking and engage and eventually it will start. I find this odd as it started this morning, cold with no issue.

the NSS?

I am drawing a blank, I called a few guys I know over at the local power sports service center and they could not think of anything.

Thanks for your help
I have had what appears to be a starter issue (maybe connections) on my 2020 Pro Mx mule. Just clicks when it happens. 2 times in the past 3 months it won’t start after running for a while. Fixed itself first time, 2nd rolled it down a hill and pulled it into reverse. Next crank it started... this should not happen. Lucky to be under warranty.

Old 08-27-2022, 08:06 PM
Default Did this get resolved?

Originally Posted by cssmgt

* Brand new battery
* new starter relay

the NSS?

Thanks for your help

did you solve this problem? I have replaced my starter, starter solenoid, battery. The only other thing in the circuit is the ignition. Switch. Mine starts sometimes and then just clicks. If you found the problem , I would love to know what you did!