Kawasaki Jet Ski's One, Two & Three Passenger Jet Ski talk within here.

Wiring harness

Old 07-04-2010, 07:06 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Wiring harness

Looking at buying a pair of 2000 900STX's. Guy wants $4000 for the pair and the trailer...both have about 50 hours on them. One runs great...been using it for the past couple of days. The other has a fried wiring harness. Anyone have any idea on what could cause this....wires just fried. See that I can get a new harness on line for about $250....is this something I could replace by myself..it pretty much looks like plug n play....or do I need the dealer? What else could have been damaged in this that I might not be able to see yet.
Any thoughts on the deal....they look bran new...or like they have only 50 hours on them.
Thanks

Old 07-05-2010, 01:45 AM
1st Gear Member

Usually only one or two wires will be bad on the harness, its a pain but if you can find those wires you can determine what they are attached to and why they fried, prefereably before you attach a brand new one and fry it too. Best case scenario you have a single wire that got too close to the motor, melted and shorted. in which case you can tape it up tuck it away and run with a $0.98 repair. Worse case you have a bad component that overloaded the wires burned through and shorted out several other wires and who knows how many other components, and could cost hundreds to fix in addition to the new harness, assuming that you can actually find the bad component before it fries all the new parts again. I'd be carefull in the prebuy. Good luck!

Welcome to KF!

Old 07-06-2010, 01:42 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Wiring harness

Got to looking at it closer and it looks like the fastener that holds the wire to the body came loose....it dropped down on the manifold and melted and then shorted the entire harness out. Taking it to the dealer tomorrow
Thanks for the info
Dave

Old 07-06-2010, 03:01 AM
1st Gear Member

Could be an easy fix as long as nothing else got fried, may even be able to salvage the old harness, let us know bro

Old 07-06-2010, 05:20 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Wiring harness

Well, back from the dealer....just had them to the pre-buy...one is in great shape...33 hours, compression good, etc. Second one is another story. The wiring harness is fried and burned from where it enters the computer to where it goes to some box (sorry, forgot the name) in the back. They said that they could not detect what caused it to fry. Can you share what the names are on the boxes at both ends of the harness. I am thinking of talking the seller into selling the second one as scrap or parts and then trying to see if I can find used parts someplace and try to put it back together on my own.
At the worse case, I would have some spare parts including an engine with 50 hours on it that i could pull if needed.
Any advice?
Thanks
Dave

Old 07-07-2010, 12:43 AM
1st Gear Member

If you have the time money and know how to fix the other one give it a shot, but if the computer is fried it may be more trouble than its worth. I'd buy the good one and let the seller deal with the gremlins on the other.

Old 07-07-2010, 05:01 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks....appreciate the advice

Old 07-07-2010, 07:46 PM
1st Gear Member

No problem brother, get some pics up when you bring em home!