Kawasaki Jet Ski's One, Two & Three Passenger Jet Ski talk within here.

ultra 150 jet ski prob help plz

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2006, 07:36 PM
Default ultra 150 jet ski prob help plz

hello i just purchased a ultra 150 2002 jet ski and the ski doest start. you crank it the motor turns but doesnt start. i checked for spark and gets it, i tried putting starter fluid in the intake and it back fires! can anyone help me thanks so much!

Old 08-11-2006, 09:11 AM
Default RE: ultra 150 jet ski prob help plz

Dont even waste your time... I am here in this forum for exactly the same reason as you...

We have 4 ultra 150s, yes 4 of them, none of them start first time out...

my solution... remove all plugs, clean them, spray a little WD40 into each cylinder
try starting the ket ski. If it kicks and runs just one little bit (it wont idle) and you are certain it is running on fuel, not WD40, put it in the water, start it and give it gas. It will splutter and cough until you get enough heat into the plugs to dry them out and then it will work well.

Ours are brand new fuel injected BTW.

What I am hoping someone can answer is....
Can I use different plugs, something a bit hotter??? These are not used for racing and surely with a 5.8:1 CR detonation is a bit less likely. Is it safe to use a BR7 plug instead of a BR9????

Anyone with past experience???

Old 08-24-2006, 04:21 PM

I agree with Kogo.. I have a 2001 150 and every time when summer starts I have to add alittle starter fluid to get them running. After that they run fine all summer long!!

Kogo as for the spark plugs.. Im not sure.. theoretically I would say no. Why are you wanting to replace them anyway???

Old 08-25-2006, 11:30 AM

4 out of 5 times that these jetskis are started, they dont start. They require the plugs removed and dried of all the oil sitting on them. If you look at any plug chart, it points to the plug being too cold. Black wet residue that is wiped off easily. I have made a few small mods to the plugs that have helped, but am waiting for my shipment of BR8ES and BR7ES plugs as well as some iridium plugs. I will keep you posted as to how things progress.

Kawasaki themselves are very interested in this problem and like any good big company, they couldnt give a damn and call it operater error. With 20 or so different users of these toys, I find it hard to believe we all get it wrong.
NGK has been a helpful with recommendations. There is a lot of info out there on plugs if you take your time and seperate fact from fiction.

Old 09-20-2006, 11:45 PM

Running hotter plugs.
Be careful not to burn a hole on top of your piston. It can also create detonation due to unwanted hot spots in the combustion chamber. I am not saying it will happen on Ultra 150 but can happen when running hotter plugs on some engines. Make sure you synchronize the all 3 choke plates (by loosening 2 tiny screws on each plate) so that none of them leaks air when fully closed. Also, try opening the throttle about 40~50% when cranking to create some suction in the carb throat.

Old 09-21-2006, 09:45 AM

These damn things are irritating me now. They have been standing to 2 months and yesterday I spent about 3 hours trying to geet them going. The first one took in 2 minutues, but the second one didnt come on at all. Just one or 2 kicks of life but then nothing again. Each time I pull out the plugs, they are soaked in fuel. Which explains the lack of firing... Now how do I get it to take before the plugs get covered in fuel and 2stroke???

Old 09-21-2006, 09:17 PM

You need to put a primer kit in . It should solve problem I did for me. However do not remove choke plates will lean it out. You should not need to run hotter plugs. It could be time to rebuild carbs. Have you checked pulse hose for cracks? Also make sure fuel tank is holding pressure. BTW kogo the ultra 150's were never fuel injected from 1999-2005. The ultra 130's are fuel injected.

Old 09-21-2006, 09:19 PM

Fouling plugs:
Are you sure it is fuel fouled not by oil?
If by fuel, make sure the pilot screw is set at 1 1/4 turn out.
If by oil, check to make sure 5 outlets from the oil pump are routed correctly to each destination.

Old 09-27-2006, 05:20 PM

thanks guys for the ideas. I will see what happens when I get the time to get stuck into these again.

Old 12-04-2006, 09:11 AM

OK, just for info purposes....

I have just been informed that the Jet skis are fresh waterjet skis and not supposed to be used in sea water. Hense, the magneto is damaged on all the toys and is being replaced and located to a drier part of the compartment

Quick Reply: ultra 150 jet ski prob help plz