Kawasaki Jet Ski's One, Two & Three Passenger Jet Ski talk within here.

STX 1100 Won't start Cold

Old 05-25-2009, 07:39 PM
Default STX 1100 Won't start Cold

I have 2 1999 Kawasaki Jet Ski 1100 STX. Both of them have the same problem. They will continuously crank and not fire up. I think its a fuel problem because i did not put stabilizer in before the winter. I cleaned out the lines and pump thing on the rear of the engine, and took out the diapram and cleaned it. If i take the cover off the 3 carbs and spray some gas I can get it to start and run fine. It will start again no problem but as soon as the engine goes cold, it won't start and I have to take the carb cover off and put more gas in. That obviously isn't a permanant solution. Any suggestions?

Old 06-03-2010, 03:41 PM

Yep. Replace the fuel pump. I just had to do the same thing on my 2000. Got the part from Babbitts online. Called everywhere and they were cheapest.

Old 06-04-2010, 02:18 AM
1st Gear Member

If it runs fine after you get it started I wouldn't guess its the fuel pump, but not ruling anything out.

Did you drain the old gas and put new stuff in? Not sure if your ski has a choke but there should be something in there to help with a cold start. I know nothing on the skis so I will have to bow to other expertise. Good luck!

Welcome to KF for both of you guys!

Old 06-04-2010, 01:12 PM

It will run fine until you burn off what you sprayed in the carb. Then it will shut down. If that is the case it is fuel pump. One other thing you could do is bypass the fuel filter. Take the gas line off the fuel filter and the line off the fuel pump and connect them together. (We used a couple copper fittings put together for the splice). If it starts, it is a bad fuel filter. If it doesn't, the fuel pump is not pumping and you will need to replace the fuel pump. Definitely drain the old gas out.

Old 06-04-2010, 07:01 PM
1st Gear Member

These 1100 skis are a nightmare with this problem, we always used to have to get some petrol in the carbs to start it but after that it was fine for the rest of the day. This was back in the days when we didnt know much about skis. We got rid of it after a cuple of seasons of removing the airbox lol

Might be worth just checking the compression just incase and check all the plugs conditions to see if it is running correct mixtures..

Then if that is all ok I woud fit a primer..