Kawasaki Jet Ski's One, Two & Three Passenger Jet Ski talk within here.

new to jetskis, 650 ts questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2006, 02:33 AM
Default new to jetskis, 650 ts questions

Im gona need some help and advice. Ive got a TS 650. Is it normal for it to smoke during idle. It smokes when first cranked and at idle. If I run it full out for a while it will stop smoking and it takes about 10min to start smoking at idle again. Any ideas what could be the problem?

What is the best manual to buy for it? I purchased the Seloc manual but I dont like it.

Does anyone have an operators manual I can buy?

Is it normal for the drive shaft to slide back and forth from the engine to the impeller about 1/4"?

Should the drive shaft slightly rattle in the the impeller when moved around by hand or should it be a very snug fit. I think my drive shaft splines are worn. Is it normal for them to get worn?

I took the pump off, the bearings are good but the impeller has a quarter sized chunk missing out of the rear edge of the impeller. The leading edges looks ok.

There is a loud rattling noise in the pump housing when idling. I am guessing it is the worn impeller shaft splines since the pump housing bearings are good and the impeller is not touching the pump housing.

What is the push pull lever on top of the engine for?

Old 10-13-2006, 07:03 PM
Default RE: new to jetskis, 650 ts questions

Welcome to the site and jetskiing as well.
Boy, you've got many questions. But I would too, if I got a jetski for the first time. By the way, this site is little dead... but I'm usually here and let me see if I can help you with your TS650.

Impeller - you will need a new one with that much meat missing. It will cavitate.
Drive shaft moving back and forth - I would consider it normal if it is only 1/4".
Spline wear - No, it is not normal.
Smoking when idling - Yes, it can be normal depending on what type of oil you are using. Are you using premix w/o oil pump?
Rattling Noise - Some can be normal but check the impeller tip to pump housing clearance and eveness.
Push/Pull Lever - It is the decompressor valve for getting water out of your engine if it gets hydrolocked (ingesting water) so that you don't bend your con rods.
Manuals - Get genuines from Kawi. It will be your best and most important investment for your TS650.
Good Luck.

Old 10-14-2006, 04:05 PM

Thanks, that will get me started. It looks like that I will have to pull the engine to replace the drive shaft with the worn splines. That stinks. I am going to try a new impeller first to see if it takes up some of the slack first.

Old 10-17-2006, 11:48 PM

Pulling a 650 engine is not too bad, just 4 engine mount bolts, hoses, cables, etc. A good winter project, and a good chance to look over or replace any other questionalbe parts.

Old 10-18-2006, 03:19 PM

I know this is not the typical use for jetskis but this is my creation. This is my river fishing rig. The TS is stable and has room for my tackle.
I still have some other things to do to it. I am going to put some roll on bed liner on the hull for scooting over rocks. Will a steel impeller be a
good investment or will it just tear up my pump housing if a rock gets in there? I think it would be better for the impeller to be damaged than
the pump housing.

[IMG]local://upfiles/3377/7E4D0E3766984665899F17768E24D71B.jpg[/IMG]

Old 10-18-2006, 06:26 PM

I also thought the TS650 is an excellent/economic fishing platform due to its large hull. A steel impeller is an excellent investment. If you suck up a rock, it will usually just ruin the leading edge of the impeller blade not the pump. Just easy on throttle when riding on shallow water - then it won't suck up anything big or heavy.

Old 09-22-2016, 12:44 PM

I think I have the same rattle at idle...

Can you have a look at this video for me?

goo.gl/photos/HQSZdB9gsSf7z7tNA

Is this normal, or is there some maintenance needed after 25 years?

Ben

Old 04-22-2021, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by DowntownBen
I think I have the same rattle at idle...

Can you have a look at this video for me?

goo.gl/photos/HQSZdB9gsSf7z7tNA

Is this normal, or is there some maintenance needed after 25 years?

Ben
did u ever figure out whst issue is . Just picked up one these and it apears comming from drive shaft