Kawasaki Jet Ski's One, Two & Three Passenger Jet Ski talk within here.

Help with 1998 Kawasaki 900 Jet Ski .

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 04:17 PM
Default Help with 1998 Kawasaki 900 Jet Ski .

I need help with my jet ski , I have the bearing gone on jet pump shaft. How do I remove the shaft?? Do I have to take everything of ,does it just slide out ? How is it conected to the shaft that goes in the engine? Thanks for any help!!!

Old 09-04-2012, 09:54 PM
1st Gear Member

The shaft must be removed forward. Therefore you have to remove the engine, or some guys just loosen stuff as needed and raise it up about 4 inches without removing it. The shaft is not actually fastened to the engine. It is close enough that the shaft & engine halves of the coupler both mesh with the rubber "spyder" between them. Once you move the engine 1 inch forward, the shaft will be "disconnected". The shaft is connected to the impeller via a splined connection... so the shaft will slide out of the impeller in the forward direction. This is a good time to inspect the impeller bearings as well... so some guys remove the pump also.

Old 09-04-2012, 09:59 PM
1st Gear Member

Maybe I mis-read your problem. I was describing the driveshaft removal. If you meant the pump bearings, you do not have to remove the driveshaft. The pump can be removed by itself. It will slide off the driveshat (splines) in the rearward direction. You must remove rideplate and pump mounting bolts. Be sure to seal the pump intake joints with silicone upon re-assembly.... don't let the pump suck air.... only water.

Old 09-05-2012, 09:55 PM

Thank you , I got it of . My next question is how do I remove the shaft so i can inspect it and get the damaged bearing out??? Is he coming out from the impeller side ? The rest from the gone bearing is not moving and I dont want to screw up. I'm sorry but I'm new to this.

Old 09-06-2012, 02:33 PM
1st Gear Member

Pump rebuild has a lot of detailed steps to it. You should really find a service manual (e-bay or search forums... free or low cost). It requires some special tools although most can be simulated by makeshift solutions. If you have general bearing service experience, or a good manual, yes it is a do-it-yourself type project.
General principal is to remove steering and exit nozzles. Then remove the rear "cap", or "cone", exposing the rear end of the shaft. Grip the shaft in a vise and unscrew the impeller from the front side. This requires a splined stub shaft or special tool (avail on various websites). Pull the remaining shaft out the back. Then replace the bearings. Re-assembly requires special attention to the direction each grease seal faces, use of non-permanent loctite, o-rings in the right places, etc.