Kawasaki Jet Ski's One, Two & Three Passenger Jet Ski talk within here.

Grounding question 95 900 ZXI

Old 08-04-2013, 12:28 PM
Default Grounding question 95 900 ZXI

I have a basic test light. I have a bright light when testing positive wires from battery to post on relay switch and then the red wires out the relay. The test light is dim orange when I test the black ground and the red/yellow wires attatched to the relay switch. I turn key on and no gauges and nothing from the green start button not even the relay clicking. Should the ground light up and is the realy bad.

Old 10-08-2013, 04:18 PM
1st Gear Member

I'm not sure exactly what you are saying about where your test light probes are attached. Red wire from battery into relay should test bright as compared to ground. Red wire out of relay to the starter motor should test bright only when the relay is active. The yellow/red wire should test bright only while pressing the start button with ignition ON. (and relay should click at the same time). Black ground wires should never show test light voltage as they should all be firmly attached to ground already. With no relay clicking at all, you could have anything from a blown fuse, to ignition switch problem, to start button problem, bad relay.... or as you suggested, just a bad ground. The battery negative must firmly attach to the engine frame. And there is an extra smaller black wire that should also be attached to the battery neg post.