Kawasaki Jet Ski's One, Two & Three Passenger Jet Ski talk within here.

97 ZXi 750 - Will not stay running/Bogs down

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 04:04 PM
Default 97 ZXi 750 - Will not stay running/Bogs down

We were out running around in my jet ski. Ran perfect, very low hours on it and starts on the 1st or 2nd crank every time.

All the sudden it dies on my friend. He started it back up and brought it back to shore and told me what happened. I decided I had better get it back to the other side of the lake and pull it out of the water...

Started fine, ran for 2 min, dies suddenly
Started fine again, ran for 1.5 min, dies suddenly
Starts fine once more, ran for 1 min, dies again

Then it starts to have some starting issues. It will start after a couple cranks, and runs fantastic until it dies after 10-15 sec, and eventually will not start at all. Thank god I was within a half mile of the launch and could get a tow from a couple kids. I pulled a plug and everything looked awesome. Cranked it without plugs and there is a ton of compression coming from the holes, so I dont think that is the issue. Hooked the timing light up and the spark plugs and wires are doing their thing. I didnt want to fool with it for to long because I figured if it isnt getting gas, it probably isnt getting any oil either so I dont want to screw the engine up.

Looks to me like it is not getting gas. Is there a fuel pump on these things? I have a lot of experience working on cars and 4 stroke engines, but I have very little experience with 2 strokes or jet ski's for that matter.

I was hoping someone on here could give me a direction to go in. Thanks

Old 05-03-2009, 03:21 PM

I'm not sure on your model of ski, but my 1100 has the fuel pumps on the two (out of three) outer carbs. Just follow the fuel line from your tank and it should lead you to the location of the fuel pump.

Old 05-04-2009, 09:37 PM

Mine has twin carbs. I completely disassembled the carb but couldnt find anything wrong. Would the problem be obvious like a tear in the diaphragm, or could it be bad and I wouldnt be able to tell by looking at it?

Old 05-05-2009, 01:48 PM

I took min e into the local shop and had the guy rebuild mine. He showed me the diaphragm that he removed from the fuel pumps. I would have said they look good to me, but he said they were toast. They were because they work great now.

The only thing you could notice was they seemed a little stretched and puffed out a litttle. It's not like there were holes or splits in it. It was kind of like a loose screen on a window, if that makes any sense? The new replacement was flat and tight.

Old 05-06-2009, 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by TeamAllen
I took min e into the local shop and had the guy rebuild mine. He showed me the diaphragm that he removed from the fuel pumps. I would have said they look good to me, but he said they were toast. They were because they work great now.

The only thing you could notice was they seemed a little stretched and puffed out a litttle. It's not like there were holes or splits in it. It was kind of like a loose screen on a window, if that makes any sense? The new replacement was flat and tight.
Thanks a lot! Now that you say that Im sure thats what it is. The diaphragms were very loose, but there was no physical damage. Im going to go get the rebuild kit this weekend and put everything back together. Hopefully that fixes it. I will keep everyone posted.