Kawasaki Jet Ski's One, Two & Three Passenger Jet Ski talk within here.

89 TS650 Jet Ski Electrical Dead

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2014, 02:24 AM
Question 89 TS650 Jet Ski Electrical Dead

Hello,

I just purchased a 1989 650ts Jet Ski. I was told it needed a battery, starter and "fuel line??". Compression seemed decent, the electrical box was ripped apart. Please see pictures. I noticed a solenoid was missing as well.

I purchased the parts below:
Battery, Plugs, Starter, Service manual, Solenoid, Sea Foam, Oil, Fuel line, Fogging oil.

Electrical: I wired solenoid according to manual leaving in stock starter for now. I purchased from young kids and thought the solenoid was their meaning of starter. I installed new battery with a full charge. Bilge pump worked perfect.

Fuel/ignition: I saw no fuel line damage. I drained all old fuel and oil, replaced both with fresh and Seafoam. I sprayed a slight bit of fog oil in cylinders and installed new spark plugs. Please see fuel tank pic.

Other than the Bilge pump I have no ignition at all. I am thinking the problem is my wiring form the Battery/Starter to the Solenoid to the CDI. The "big if" is the manual did not note what sides of Solenoid the Starter and CDI wires went bolted on. Please look in pics. Either that or the starter does need to be replaced all though I have heard the 650ts starters are tough. I don't even get a click when turning on ski, installing safety dongle and hitting green start button. Am I missing a part of start procedure? This is my first ski.

Please see my pictures and note any obvious error as well as CDI before and after moving it. I will post electrical diagram I used as well.You can see in the pics where I moved the CDI from the upper right corner of electrical box to the bottom. I put the solenoid upper right with the black CDI wire now hooked to the Solenoid rather grounded to the box mount bolt. There is also a yellow wire with a red stripe that is not noted in manual and parts service man at parts store said it went nowhere. All of this could be the issue??

Manythanks!

Attached Thumbnails 89 TS650 Jet Ski Electrical Dead-89ts650cdi2.jpg   89 TS650 Jet Ski Electrical Dead-str2sol2cdi2.jpg   89 TS650 Jet Ski Electrical Dead-cdi-top2.jpg   89 TS650 Jet Ski Electrical Dead-fuel2.jpg   89 TS650 Jet Ski Electrical Dead-yellow-wire2.jpg  

Old 04-19-2014, 02:35 AM
Default Pic explanation

Originally Posted by kawboy11
Hello,

I just purchased a 1989 650ts Jet Ski. I was told it needed a battery, starter and "fuel line??". Compression seemed decent, the electrical box was ripped apart. Please see pictures. I noticed a solenoid was missing as well.

I purchased the parts below:
Battery, Plugs, Starter, Service manual, Solenoid, Sea Foam, Oil, Fuel line, Fogging oil.

Electrical: I wired solenoid according to manual leaving in stock starter for now. I purchased from young kids and thought the solenoid was their meaning of starter. I installed new battery with a full charge. Bilge pump worked perfect.

Fuel/ignition: I saw no fuel line damage. I drained all old fuel and oil, replaced both with fresh and Seafoam. I sprayed a slight bit of fog oil in cylinders and installed new spark plugs. Please see fuel tank pic.

Other than the Bilge pump I have no ignition at all. I am thinking the problem is my wiring form the Battery/Starter to the Solenoid to the CDI. The "big if" is the manual did not note what sides of Solenoid the Starter and CDI wires went bolted on. Please look in pics. Either that or the starter does need to be replaced all though I have heard the 650ts starters are tough. I don't even get a click when turning on ski, installing safety dongle and hitting green start button. Am I missing a part of start procedure? This is my first ski.

Please see my pictures and note any obvious error as well as CDI before and after moving it. I will post electrical diagram I used as well.You can see in the pics where I moved the CDI from the upper right corner of electrical box to the bottom. I put the solenoid upper right with the black CDI wire now hooked to the Solenoid rather grounded to the box mount bolt. There is also a yellow wire with a red stripe that is not noted in manual and parts service man at parts store said it went nowhere. All of this could be the issue??

Manythanks!
Pictures are as follows:
1.CDI moved to bottom left.
2.Solenoid mounted upper left where CDI was, black CDI wire on solenoid.
3.CDI upper left with black wire grounded to mounting bolt, no solenoid, yellow/red wire unataatched.
4. Fuel Tank lines.
5.CDI upper left, yellow/red wire.

Old 05-06-2014, 02:42 PM
1st Gear Member

I do not have a circuit diagram for the '89 TS.
However, I have looked at a "typical" kawi 650 diagram from the 90's.
Why did you change locations of the solenoid and CDI?
My diagrams have different color wires.
But, getting down to basics.... The + battery wire goes to one side of the solenoid,AND ALSO goes to one side of the start button, and goes to the Rectifier module. The other side of the solenoid only goes to the starter motor. You should at least get a solenoid "click" even if the starter motor is bad. I do not know where your bilge pump gets its power... that was probably an aftermarket add-on. It probably is the extra red wire directly on the battery + terminal. Review these comments and see if that points you in the right direction. There could be other wiring issues, but lets start here.

Old 05-01-2017, 12:18 AM
Default 89 TS6550 Electrical eating my lunch

I have pulled the engine and replaced the coil, CDI, regulator, and still no spark. All circuits appear to be fine, I have disconnected the kill switch, but it appears to be fine. The starter turns over fine and I have 150PSI compression in both cylinders. But no spark, I have tried 4 different CDI's and 3 different regulators. The only thing I have a question about is the different wire colors from the original CDI to the replacement ones. But using the resistance tables I believe I have it hooked up correctly. I'm ready to give up and just sell this POS as is.