Kawasaki Jet Ski's One, Two & Three Passenger Jet Ski talk within here.

650 jet ski starting/ running problems

Old 06-26-2006, 04:49 PM
Default 650 jet ski starting/ running problems

Ok I have posted twice on this form about my Kawasaki jet ski starting problems. It seems to be different all the time, I used to be able to start the engine with a little shot of gas or carb cleaner, now it won't even start with that. I took it out last week thinking I had the starting problem fixed but no! I spent about 30 minutes trying to start the ski. It didn't seem like it was even atempting to start what bam it started like nothing was wrong. The ski ran fine in the water for about 30 minutes and than started breaking down. I had to be towed back to the dock. After returning home I hooked it up to the hose to wash the salt water out I pressed the start button and to my surprize it started right up ran a little rough at first then smoothed out. The next morning I tried to start the ski with no success. I have spark, air flow and gas, it really seems like a fuel feed issue, could it be the reeds? Please help this thing is driving me crazy!

Roy

Old 06-27-2006, 04:18 AM
Default RE: 650 jet ski starting/ running problems

If you have spark, fuel and air, it will run. Now you just need to figure out which one of the 3 is bad. Do the easy things first, like new spark plugs, then check spark with cap off you should see it jump, etc. Or i just lay the spack plug on the engine and run it to see spark.

Look at the reeds. I just pulled mine, and all are in good shape, I have now concluded that is not my 650 acceleration problem.

Sounds like you have a clogged fuel line, or even bad gas.

Old 06-27-2006, 08:09 AM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

Yup, it sounds like a fuel prob. Sounds like you had the problem for a while having to spray it to get started.. What color are your plugs? I have never had the reed valves go out. Could happen tho I guess... I would start at the plugs, and work backwards from there. It is amzing what a gummed up fuel line or carb can cause...

Old 06-28-2006, 10:46 PM

The gas in it is 2 years old but it runs on it when I can get it started. I will empty the tank tonight and put new gas and plugs in. I will tell you all how it went tomorrow. Fortunalty the rain has finally stopped and I can work on it tonight.

Roy

Old 07-01-2006, 07:00 AM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

Hey man, did you get the plugs and gas changed out? Did that fix your prob?

Old 07-05-2006, 06:39 PM

Yup, I dumpted out the old gas, put in new gas and installed new plugs and..... nothing. I also traced the fuel lined and fuel filters and found no clogs or other problems, the gas was flowing without restriction. Since I had two skis I decided to swap out the carbs just to make sure it was the reeds and bingo the ski started after just a few cranks. I rebuilt the carb but couldn't get into the fuel pump because it had some tamper-proof screws on it, I guess the problem is in the fuel pump. So I ordered another carb from Irby cycle and ski and had it shipped next day air. I recieved it on Saturday just in time for the long 4th of July weekend. After opening the package I found they sent the wrong carb. So I contacted Irby to get the right one sent out. It never showed up on Saturday and after speaking to Irby again they told me the were having problems with Saturday pick up and the the carb never shipped. Now they are saying I should have it today (so much for my daughter using them over the 4th weekend) but the tracking number says it has been billed but there is no info on shipping details so I suspect it won't show up today either.

I think I'm just going to set the damn thing on fire!

Old 07-06-2006, 05:38 AM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

lol lol.... I understand man!! At least you are not out much on the plugs, and they probably needed changed anyway.. At least you found the prob... And you were along the right lines with the fuel related troubles..... GL man..