Kawasaki Jet Ski's One, Two & Three Passenger Jet Ski talk within here.

2005 kawasaki stx 15f will not charge it's self??? Engine dies when the battery dies

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2014, 12:30 AM
Default 2005 kawasaki stx 15f will not charge it's self??? Engine dies when the battery dies

I recently bought 2 2005 kawasaki jet skis. They have been sitting since 2008 and have 350 hours, old rentals. One is a stx 15f and the other is an stx 12f. The 12f is a parts ski at this point. I got the 15f to start after replacing he battery and fuel pump and fresh fuel. So, it's kind of hard to start, the starter draws the battery down from 12.5 to 8.5 when trying to start and the cables going to the starter get hot. Also it seems the starter will turn the engine over a turn or two and stop. It takes about 4 or 5 times of pushing the start button to get it to fire up. Once running it runs great for about 5-7 minutes and then dies and the battery is completely dead. So I put it back on the charger and same thing. I took it out on the water the other day and it started so I headed out a little ways and about 7 minutes into the ride it died an the battery was dead again. So, I think the stator is bad and needs replaced from what I have read, I was hoping it was the regulator or something easy that I could rob off the other ski, but just from what I have read it's probably the stator. What do you guys think? What do you guys think would be the "easiest" way to change it out? Thanks in advance for any help!!hoping to get it on the water again before the end of the season.

Old 01-21-2015, 02:35 AM

I'd recommend getting a brand new battery and then test your charging by doing this simple test. Get a volt meter and turn it to volts Dc. Touch the red lead to the positive side of the battery and the black wire to the ground side of the battery or known good ground. Start the vehicle and see what the voltage reading is. If it's the same reading before u started it, and not increasing as u rev the motor, it's a bad regulator rectifier. Lastly, it takes a few cranks to start because of the fuel pump being pressurized into the fuel line. Hopefully u replaced the big black filter too since that will cause hard starts!