Kawasaki Jet Ski's One, Two & Three Passenger Jet Ski talk within here.

1997 kawi 1100 stx starting problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2014, 07:59 PM
Default 1997 kawi 1100 stx starting problem

To the point:

While at the River last week, while depressing the starter button to start my 1100 STX, although the starter engaged several times and just about cranked over the engine, all of a sudden it would not crank at all.

The engine compartment was free of water, so, I presumed my problem did not lie with water ingestion into the engine.

A couple years ago while experiencing the identical problem I have now I simply replaced the start/stop apparatus without testing it. (I did not know how, so I took the easiest route to remedy the problem)

Because I am faced with the same problem, I now want to know how to diagnose/repair this problem quickly so I know how to do it and can head out to the River one more time in the next few weeks.

To that end, all suggestions will be appreciated.

1) Do I start by checking the stop/start apparatus? if yes, how is continuity checked?

2) If the problem dies not lie there, is the next stop the starter relay? If so, how does one check the relay to ascertain if it is functioning?

3) If that is ok, then do I move onto the starter? If yes, how is that checked?

Where do I go from there?

I will send a Olive Garden gift certificate to the guy or gal who gets me going again.

Old 01-21-2015, 02:19 AM

Well, all STX's and ZXI's are hard starters in general. A remedy would be a primer kit vs. the stock choke. First, and foremost, let's do the basics.
1.) is the battery good? Does it have a charge of at least 12.5Volts?
2.) if so, does the gauge orange lights light up?
3.) if so, then the system is getting power.
4.) if not, check your battery power lead to make sure it's tight, and re-do number 3.
5.) never, never, crank your starter motor over for ling periods of time since u can burn them out.
6.) check for power at the starter motor when depressing the green start button.
If you do, and nothing happens, replace the starter motor.

Let me know what you find!

Thanks-Ron

Old 01-21-2015, 02:20 AM

If none of this works, open the rear electrical box and look for water!