Kawasaki Jet Ski's One, Two & Three Passenger Jet Ski talk within here.

1996 1100 Zxi won't even turn over

Old 07-28-2009, 04:29 PM
Default 1996 1100 Zxi won't even turn over

Hello all!

I wish my first post here weren't a cry for help. I bought it used and am learning hard lessons. We had it on the lake and ran it for about 3 hours then tied it up in about three feet of water. After an hour or so we noticed it was taking on water. We lost the drain plug. I beached it and ran into town for a new plug. By the time I got back, they had a temporary rubber plug in place and had pumped the water out of the hull. I put the new drain plug in and tried to start it. It just makes a clunk sound. It won't even turn over. I pulled out the spark plugs and they were all wet, no gas smell on them. I left them out for a few hours hoping things would dry out. No luck. I tried to manually turn the drive shaft and cannot get it to rotate. I'd appreciate any thoughts or help.

I think they tried to start it prior to pumping out the water....

THANKS !

Old 08-05-2009, 08:30 PM

your impellor many be stuck or even a pistin easiest thing to do is to remove the impelor housing and then try to roll the engine by hand if the engine turns try starting but only let it start for 15 to 20 seconds good luck

Old 08-24-2009, 04:47 PM
Default Get the water out of the engine

Originally Posted by ClawedRockDawg
Hello all!

I wish my first post here weren't a cry for help. I bought it used and am learning hard lessons. We had it on the lake and ran it for about 3 hours then tied it up in about three feet of water. After an hour or so we noticed it was taking on water. We lost the drain plug. I beached it and ran into town for a new plug. By the time I got back, they had a temporary rubber plug in place and had pumped the water out of the hull. I put the new drain plug in and tried to start it. It just makes a clunk sound. It won't even turn over. I pulled out the spark plugs and they were all wet, no gas smell on them. I left them out for a few hours hoping things would dry out. No luck. I tried to manually turn the drive shaft and cannot get it to rotate. I'd appreciate any thoughts or help.

I think they tried to start it prior to pumping out the water....

THANKS !
My 100zxi has taken on water several times. The cylinders will hydrolock if someone tried to crank the ski when it had water in it. Best solution is to remove the plugs and crank the ski over--keep you face away from the plug holes. If there is any water in the cylinders, it will shoot out of the plug holes.

Repeat this process, cranking for 15-20 seconds at a time until the water stops shooting out of the plug holes. Spray some WD-40 down the plug holes, replace the plugs, and try to crank the ski.

May have to repeat this process 2-3 times until all water is out of the carbs and cylinders. Ski will run rough for a while after it starts, but will even out after the water burns off.

Good luck.