Kawasaki Jet Ski's One, Two & Three Passenger Jet Ski talk within here.

1100 STX In-Line Fuel Filter/Water Interceptor

Old 08-08-2012, 01:55 AM
Default 1100 STX In-Line Fuel Filter/Water Interceptor

While navigating the Colorado River in Earp, CA a few days ago one of my 1997 STX 1100's would hesitate at WOT. In a nutshell, at times I could not get it past 30 mph. Because it was my first run for the season I figured the cause was the result of stale gas (I may have overlooked putting gas stabilizer in it last October, or the fuel filter had water in it, something that often happened with my Sea Doo's.

I figured the easy fix was to put some Sea Foam in the tank, then change the gas filter when I returned home.

Well, when I called Kawi for a fuel filter and was told it cost $38, I thought, that sucks. The salesman told me the high cost was the result of the filter also being a water interceptor. That sounds like baloney.

On that thought, any comments on this subject will be appreciated.

PMS: I there any reason to change the plugs every year if they are not worn?

Old 08-30-2012, 08:10 PM
1st Gear Member

You can get aftermarket fuel filters from an auto parts store, or on-line. Most guys like the metal frame with glass tube. Get one that you can open up and clean or change the element. Water seperation is not a bad idea, but most skis just use a plain filter.
Failure to achieve full speed can be many things.... bad carbs, one cyclinder not firing, or not getting gas. Check plugs, compression, fuel system.
No, I don't change plugs every season. I check them while winterizing.... if in good shape, back in they go. Depends upon how many hours you ride in a season, how much oil mix, etc.

Old 08-31-2012, 10:03 PM

At the end of July (I got a late start this year Jet Skiing) when I took the Kawi's out for a week, 1/2 way in to the week one was hesitating, unable to move faster than 38mph. The 2nd 1100 STX worked fine.

I bought a can of Sea Foam from Auto Zone, tossed it in the tank and the following day I noticed improvement. Then, the next day, more improvement.

This month (August) when we went out for a week the Kawi was back to normal, cruising at 55mph easily.

What that tells me is I may have forgotten to winterize the Kawi's last October when I put them away for the winter.