General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Starting problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2006, 02:10 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Starting problems

Now I know I am not imagining this. I went riding around today and after 20 mins of riding when I turned off my bike and let it sit for about 10 mins I come back to it and it won't turn over. I have plenty of gas so it wasn't the gas. I just kept trying to start it and after about 5 mins of trying it slowly turned over.
On the last try I was holding the starter and I could see the RPMs slowing raising and after about 8 seconds it got to the idle point and finally idled for me. I was able to ride it back home fine but now it's doing that same thing everytime I try to start it. I see the oil light is now on, could that of caused a starting problem? When I hold the bike up right the oil level gauge is showing the oil in the middle which is right.

I just ordered a manual from ebay a few days ago so I havn't had the chance to change any fluids yet.

**Edit**
Well, it's starting up for me fine now. Also the oil light goes off when I am riding so I dont think anything is wrong with the oil.

Old 10-20-2006, 04:57 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Starting problems

Its prolly your battery my friend. How old is it. It happened to me once. I was on a date when it happened to me and my bike dint start. LUckly a flat bed tow truck was on his way home and gave me and my girl a ride LOL.

Old 10-20-2006, 04:59 AM
1st Gear Member

It just took longer and longer for it to crank over. Oh and the oil light it shoudl come on everytime you turn just the battery on. Its in idiot like just like the ones in your car. but turns off as soon as the biek starts

Old 10-20-2006, 06:21 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Was your riding in the rain?
I would almost check all switches, ie clutch, or gear or sidestand. Almost sounds like a voltage drop. Those listed are safeties and need to be clean.

Old 10-20-2006, 06:49 AM
1st Gear Member

I wasn't riding in the rain. It started up fine when I went out there a few hours after I got home and let it sit. Maybe I should look into getting a new battery, but all lights seem to work fine.

I was just leaving a bike store too when it happend. I went in to buy chain wax and apperently I needed more then chain wax for my bike. lol

Old 10-20-2006, 06:50 AM
1st Gear Member

my lights worked fine too. take it over to discoutn auto or auto zone they should be able to test the battery

Old 10-20-2006, 06:54 AM
1st Gear Member

Thanks, I will try that. The walmart around here has a self testing machine that doesn't cost anything. Also I might have some sort of battery tester in my gerage. Does it cost anything for auto zone to test batterys?

Old 10-20-2006, 06:56 AM
1st Gear Member

it shouldnt cost anything well at least it doesnt around here

Old 10-22-2006, 11:45 PM
1st Gear Member

Took it to Autozone today and it turns out the battery is bad. I bought a new one and I am charging it now. Thanks for the advice on checking the battery.

Old 10-23-2006, 05:23 AM
1st Gear Member

any time my friend

Quick Reply: Starting problems