General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Rust in my gas tank!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 02:24 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Rust in my gas tank!!

I bought a 85 ninja 600r a month ago and I got it to turn over and run after a carb clean and ran it around the block a few times but noticed that it bogged down around 5 grand so I pulled and cleaned the carbs again which worked great all the way through the rpms. Then I went to bike week (without my bike) and when I got back, I fired up the bike and it ran rough, then it wouldn't turn over at all. I got sea foam and put it directly in the fuel line, no dice. Then I opened up the drain screws for the bowls and reclosed them to flush out the gas and sea foam. I them mixed 50/50 sea foam/gas. And put it through my fuel line. Still nothing. I noticed that there were some fine particles of rust in the gas. The inside of the gas tank is a bit rusty. Do you think the rust is my problem for the eninge not running and secondly do u know how to get the rust out of the inside of a tank? Thank you!!

Old 09-26-2011, 04:28 PM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

Southpaw, when the engine doesn't run, go back to your basic "decision tree" type checklist. Is my battery good? If yes, then is my gas good? If yes, then am I getting gas to the carb and/or cylinder? If yes, then, am I getting ANY fire (or sputter and die?) etc., etc. You want to rule-out causes before you introduce more variables, like Seafoam. If a bike doesn't run on a "clean" system, adding chemicals may just complicate things, IMHO. I would probably "go back to" the event which produced the best result (i.e. cleaning your carbs) and re-investigate. It's possible that may be the bottleneck yet again (although that is technically faulty logic; "post hoc ergo propter hoc.") I can't say "it's the rust" because I don't know how bad the rust is.
Now, as for your tank, under the Search topic in the forum tool bar, type in "rusty fuel tank." Some members have had luck with adding 1-part kerosene with 2-parts chain and vigorous shaking, then emptying and coating. There's no magic bullet on this one. Mostly 2 choices; friction (such as chain or gravel), or chemical removal. Whatever you use, make sure you get THAT out of your tank before you turn the petcock to the "on" position.

Old 09-27-2011, 02:20 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

bummer on the down time but I really like jeffs down to earth basic approach at this moment. Stay with the basics bro, do not try and remedy an issue with seafoam if all it was maybe a loose ground or the side stand switch not being made, or of the clutch safety switch not fully making. Stay with the basics bro.

Old 09-27-2011, 08:28 PM
1st Gear Member

Thank you both for ur assistance, I emptied out the gas to discover a good amount of rust particles both large and small. I put about 100 grams of "rust away in the tank followed by filling up the tank aprox 1/3rd of the way up. I kept rotating it every hour and when I opened it up, WOW it worked really darn good and I tested it on my paint ahead of time and did nothing to the paint nor the finish. I told apart my carbs again and this time I removed the idle jets that I previously didn't have a screw driver to fit it. I soaked and cleaned the parts. I'm gonna put everything back the way it was when it ran the best. Crossing my fingers. Thanks again guys!!

Old 10-02-2011, 09:48 PM
1st Gear Member

The other night I started it up and it ran, the idle wasnt real consistent but it ran. Today I tried it again and couldn't get it to turn over. I have gas and air going in the carbs so I checked the spark. When I pulled out the spark plugs I put one in the spark plu wire and hit the start button, I didn't see a spark. When I stick a screwdriver in the spark plug wire and hold the screwdriver about 1/4 from the bike frame and hit the start button I see a spark. I also tried w new spark plugs and that didn't work either. This is crazy. Another note, the plugs were wet when I removed them from the engine, I guess because it's not igniting the fuel.

Old 10-04-2011, 03:10 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

rust, and age cracks on anything will cause issues. The rust thing is of course a constant cleaning if you have not solved the source. The crack issue is of course old rubbers. hahaha ok, ok old mans joke maybe....

Old 10-05-2011, 03:45 AM
1st Gear Member

Old rubbers??

Old 10-07-2011, 06:56 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Southpaw
Old rubbers??

hahaha, boots and lines

Old 10-08-2011, 12:26 AM
1st Gear Member

I put on new sparkys and it didn't run but the next day, I switched it back to prime and hit the on switch and it ran. I let it run for a couple hrs. Took it out for a drive. Runs pretty good w alittle hesitation in the mid range.