General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

CDI smoking

Old 04-02-2008, 04:45 AM
Default CDI smoking

I got a 95 ZX9 from my buddy and the motor started to knock and was finished. I replaced that and worked out all other issues. The problem is that the motor only started twice and eventually died out. It wouldn't start again. I though the issue was fuel so I bypassed the fuel pump. The engine fired up almost immediately. After running for a few less than 30 seconds the CDI box started to smoke. I turned off the key and let it sit. I turned the key back on and the box smoked right away again. This was an issue when my friend had the bike. There were bare wires under the tank and he thought they might have arched and caused the problem so he fixed the wires and replaced the box. The bike ran fine until the motor started to knock. I have no idea where to go from here. I want to get another box and replace it, but they aren't cheap and I don't want to burn up another one or put in another until I figure out why the first two lit up. Anyone else have this issue? Any suggestions for troubleshooting? Curcuit breakers? Fuses? Relays? Anything at all?

Also I have a cool tool called a power probe. It does some cool things and one of those things is to feed power (just like using a jumper wire straight from the battery I guess) and when I did this to the fuel pump it clicked a lever in the back popped up and stayed up, but there was no pumping or sucking. Just the initial suck pump and that was it. Is this how this is supposed to work or is it supposed to be pumping continually with a supply? Thanks for the help. Great site too. Pics will be up soon of my work. Teaching myself to fiberglass, fabricate, and paint on this bike. Awesome times.