General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

kx250f problems???

Old 06-03-2007, 07:05 AM
Default kx250f problems???

whats up everyone, im new here, i just picked up an 06 kx250f and im having some issues with it. first off, the bike will not idle, i have to pull the choke to start it and it idles really high with the choke on, if i turn it off the bike will die or will have a very erratic idle and ill have to goose it every once in awhile to keep it from dying. meanwhile the bike is backfiring every so often the whole time it is running, and the exhaust header is brite cherry red. this is all happening in neutral, i havent been able to ride it yet, i dont want to ruin it. like i said the bike is an 06 and from what i can tell is all stock, stock pipe, stock filter all that. i dont have the manual for it so i dont know if everything is in spec or not. the kid that i got it from told me it backfired a little til it warmed up, but theres no way i will warm up when it wont even idle, im new to these bikes and stumped , i dont know what to do, any help from anyone would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Old 06-04-2007, 09:11 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: kx250f problems???

Hey stunt man, I have an 06 KX250f so first of all..great bike. not one problem so far and I have 57hrs on it. The exhaust header should never glow cherry red....way to hot! The bike will over heat quickly so you can't let it idle too long. You always have to start with the choke on so that's good, but never give it gas to start it up you'll soak the spark plug. Don't even touch the throttle until it is warmed up. It should never back fire! mine never has and I beat the crap out of it. I hate to say this... but take the bike right to the bike shop and have the valves checked and probably adjusted. You don't want to spend 1200.00 for a blown engine rebuild. Alot of times a good way to tell if the valves need adjusted is with an eratic idle.

By the way...buy an hour meter and attach it to the frame, run the wire right around the spark plug boot so you can keep track of engine run time.

Hope this helped...good luck

Old 06-04-2007, 10:18 PM

thanks for the imput man, i have been searching on here all weekend for answers, i used the fuel screw to get it to idle pretty good for a little while and the pipe doesnt get as red now. i was told popping is lean so i fattened it up with the screw and it stopped. i also read about the dr.d hotstart seizing up in the carb, i have one of those so i checked it, it was seized, we had to drill it out, i also read somewhere that they had a recall on that part and would replace it no charge, not sure though, if anyone knows for sure let me know. The carb also had a bunch of crap in it, i cleaned all that out and made sure the jets werent clogged while i was at it. I do have a question about the jets though, and the fuel screw, first what are the stock jet sizes for all the jets in the carb, all i know off the top of my head is that my main is 180 which i read is correct for stock. And what is the default position of the fuel screw, you know the position from which you make all the adjustments from. Until i do something about the hotstart i cant really check anything else, since it doesnt run good with the hotstart open. I will look into the valves though, does anyone know where i might be able to download a manual for this thing, i didnt get one from the previous owner. Thanks for the info that you gave me here, and if anyone else or yourself has anymore i would be glad to listen and would appreciate it, i got this bike friday and havent been able to ride it yet, its killing me but i dont want to run it halfass like the previous owner and cause more problems than i already have.

Old 06-05-2007, 01:58 AM
1st Gear Member

Looks like your off to a good start. I can't remember specifics on the jetting. I haven't touch mine. I think if you go onto kawasaki.com you can pull up the specs on everything.

Old 06-07-2007, 01:22 AM
1st Gear Member

Any updates on the bike?

Old 05-05-2008, 02:31 AM

hi everyone, im having the exact problem but on my 05 kxf250!

bought it today, and the guy said that he had done a valve adjustment in last winter, and started it and believed that it did do "blowbacks"
he thought that he didnt do the cam/ ignition timing right

so ive checked the timing today, and found that it was incorrect
but then i fixed it started it up and let it ran a while standing still,
the pipe started to glow after about 2minutes just were it connects to the cylinder head, it glowed alot.
i tried to drive it around i while, but then it didnt glow..

why is this, is it running thin or high ignited or low ignited?

im from sweden so my english aint the best one..

Truly
Danne Nilsson SWE

Old 06-25-2008, 05:55 PM

Hallo, i got a kx250f 06, just the same bike, and i got the same problem to.. But my exhaust pipe doesnt get glow red, but the bike is running very high when im not pulling the throttle.. I just got this problem after i got new valves, valve seats very cut, new piston, new gaskets and just a totally new top end. I breaked the motor in, about 25-30 minutes, and att the end suddenly it starts to act weird, felt like the hot start wire was in... But it wasnt

Old 09-09-2012, 04:26 PM

Hi there, I have a 2004 KX250F. If the bike loses all the engine heat it will not start by kicking it. I can pull/push start it and it runs fine. Once it is running everthing sounds normal. If it has engine heat it will start first kick. The bike also will not idle at normal idle speeds, it is either fast idle or if its at normal idle speed I have to give it fuel quite often or it will die. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Old 09-13-2012, 05:44 AM

May some manual must have to be launched or written so that the ones who is having a problem which is pretty common with each other can be solved.It would be a great idea that the one who solves the issue regarding the bike would update the solution and the problem in one thread or topic and similarly,the others would also follow the trick to update it..

Old 03-13-2013, 12:38 PM
Default i see no one has the service manual

soo no one has the service manual it was a pain in the ars to find it soo if any one wants it just email me i can send manuals for kx250f 2004 and the 06 but they are good for 04 05 06 07 and 08 email me here kyle_gatt1@hotmail.com

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: kx250f problems???