General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

klx 250s 2006 Loud Clicking sound not valve

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 01:38 AM
1st Gear Member
Default klx 250s 2006 Loud Clicking sound not valve

well unfortunbally this is my first post and its bad news. I recently had my valve clearance checked and it was in spec. So if any one has had this problem or any ideas on fixing it let me know. I been told it must be the crank and well their about a 1500$ part list it has 3000 miles on it and only 300 i put .The noise sounds liek its coming from the top end to middle in you hear a loud a distance clicking noise over the engine. It it wont keep idle very long and sometimes gives a lost of power wjhen u pull throtle not very much. Soon i will post a link to a video displaying hansk and i appericate any help on the problem.

UPDATE

Link to SOUND Of BIKE HERE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nJuHs3rvh8

Old 09-17-2010, 06:54 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

lmao, holy crap! that was some nasty stuff. You mentioned the valve specs were ok, what about the CCT?

Old 09-17-2010, 07:31 AM
1st Gear Member

Man stop running the bike until it is fixed. Sounds like a cam chain or valve problem to me. Did the noise start after the valves were done? Or was the noise there before the valves were done?

Old 09-17-2010, 07:43 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

yeah, what he said ^

CCT and chain. sorry bro, but I am laughing at your vid. that is just unreal! will probably hit my best home videos

Old 09-17-2010, 02:19 PM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

I'd X-ray it to see where the wrench is they left in there.........yeow. Keep it off until you can get it fixed.

Old 09-17-2010, 03:38 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Push the cam chain adjuster in one notch and see what happens.

Old 09-17-2010, 11:43 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TweakInSleep
well unfortunbally this is my first post and its bad news. I recently had my valve clearance checked and it was in spec. So if any one has had this problem or any ideas on fixing it let me know. I been told it must be the crank and well their about a 1500$ part list it has 3000 miles on it and only 300 i put .The noise sounds liek its coming from the top end to middle in you hear a loud a distance clicking noise over the engine. It it wont keep idle very long and sometimes gives a lost of power wjhen u pull throtle not very much. Soon i will post a link to a video displaying hansk and i appericate any help on the problem.

UPDATE

Link to SOUND Of BIKE HERE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nJuHs3rvh8
I know you posted elsewhere too.

From what I'm hearing I'm pretty sure you are hearing the tensioner being hammered in and out. The other spring in the center of the shoe and the one in the tensioner will allow it to push back out then the cam chain slap hammers it back in again. I had it happen on the KLX650 it is really noisy. On the in-line 4s its more a buzzing noise due to higher frequency of happening and less vicious hammering. A big single really has a lot of stress on the chain when the tensioner fails. All the more reason to go manual. Feel free to contact me by PM or email. I can fill you in more - you'll get my phone number if you want to actually talk about it.

Old 09-18-2010, 08:38 AM
1st Gear Member

well ended up beign the tensonior. unforuntally when i was checkign my machanic work seeing if their was any other lose bolts. well end story i ended up poping the timing chain off and didnt mark them in my cams. anyone have a new soultion to my new problem on setting the cams on the timing chain properly its already by the cams i just dunno a way to set the cams and chain at same time while makign sure both cams stay in spec. any ideas thank you im sorry for another problem. appericate the forums

Old 09-18-2010, 12:43 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TweakInSleep
well ended up beign the tensonior. unforuntally when i was checkign my machanic work seeing if their was any other lose bolts. well end story i ended up poping the timing chain off and didnt mark them in my cams. anyone have a new soultion to my new problem on setting the cams on the timing chain properly its already by the cams i just dunno a way to set the cams and chain at same time while makign sure both cams stay in spec. any ideas thank you im sorry for another problem. appericate the forums
Get a manual to find how they check it.

It's fairly simple. Especially with a manual tensioner since it won't spring out. You need to know where the engine needs the crank timing marks to be, then look how they have the markings on the cam sprockets set. On the KLX650 the crank is set at TDC on compression (valves are both fully closed), the marks on the sprockets are to line up parallel to the head surface when viewed from the side. If they are off significantly, the cam is off by one tooth or so. To reset the cam the tensioner must be pulled if automatic or backed off if manual, then if necessary, the cam retainer cap removed to allow the cam to be tipped, then the cam is moved in the proper direction relative to the chain links. Then reassemble and the whole set up is checked again. That's how it's done on a 650, been there done that.

Last edited by klx678; 09-18-2010 at 12:45 PM.