General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

maintance question

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2006, 07:12 PM
Default maintance question

hey all,
Well i've had this bike (02 zx-600; not 636) for about a week now and i LOVE IT!!! I just had a few questions about service. The seller had no knowledge of past services or when its recommended. My bike currently has 12,578 miles on it and it runs like a top. i just did the oil this weekend.
I was wondering what is recommended mileage for basis service/tune up?
I was also wondering....what Rpm is good to just cruise at. For instance, is holding it at 9k a bad thing? I usually hold it at 6.5 or 7k and its seems fine, but i don't wanna blow rings or seals. any infor would help.

thank you

Old 05-10-2006, 07:49 PM
Default RE: maintance question

i almost forgot.
i noticed in neutral, when i release the clutch, it makes somewhat of a grind then stops when its fully out. and when down shifting at a stop, sometimes it won't engage gear untill i let off the clutch alittle....again any answers will help. thanks

Old 05-10-2006, 11:22 PM

You should have the valves checked at 12,000 miles and repeated 9000 rpm running shouldn't hurt the bike if you are in high gear.As for the clutch,it sounds like you have a little chatter,maybe time for a new clutch.

Old 05-11-2006, 12:21 AM

NOOO dont say that. i just got back for a short ride and well i can't really hear cause of my micron, but in first when i pull out, i hear a cluck/clatter.....please be somethin other then bad clutch....and why all of a sudden after the oil change.

Old 05-11-2006, 12:55 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

use mc oil only and don't use any aditives like STP in ur oil or it will make the clutch slip and welcome to KF

Old 05-11-2006, 06:55 AM
1st Gear Member

hoedogg...thats not true. Does not have to be motorcycle oil. Just use a oil without additives.

Old 05-11-2006, 05:26 PM
1st Gear Member

use oil that is se, sf, sg class.

problem is that most car oils either do have additives in them that either mess up the wet clutch, or they don't have the proper additives for the wet clutch.

safest bet is to run kawichem oil. around 15 bucks for 4L. I don't use it, i run repsol semisynthedic and i'm deciding on wether to switch to full synthedic repsol or mobil1. mobil1 is cheaper, but i don't know anyone who runs it yet.

Old 05-11-2006, 08:06 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

MAN!!! That is a sweet looking bike, and I'm not into those type, but WOW!! I like the green exhaust, I think I found one like that for my little bike.

ORIGINAL: 02kawipawi6

hey all,
Well i've had this bike (02 zx-600; not 636) for about a week now and i LOVE IT!!! I just had a few questions about service. The seller had no knowledge of past services or when its recommended. My bike currently has 12,578 miles on it and it runs like a top. i just did the oil this weekend.
I was wondering what is recommended mileage for basis service/tune up?
I was also wondering....what Rpm is good to just cruise at. For instance, is holding it at 9k a bad thing? I usually hold it at 6.5 or 7k and its seems fine, but i don't wanna blow rings or seals. any infor would help.

thank you

Old 05-11-2006, 09:11 PM

well i stopped by my local cycle dealer who is Kawi certified and they informed me on a few things. First, he told me the noise (which is a slight bearly noticable one) is common in kawis and older Yamahas. Despite its over due for service, that i shouldnt' worry about it unless its gets really pronounced. I'm hoping after the service, aligning the throttle bodys will minimize the vibration eliminating the noise. I did notice a greater vibration in my bike yesterday. Second, he told me the difference in Car and motorcycle oil. Car oil has ZINC(??) in it that allows the oil to obsorb some water w/o thinning it out as moto oil doesnt. its acually denser which allows it to maintain its integrity at high rpms. Makes sense to me. As for full and partial synthetics....he didn't recommend anything piticular, and i couldn't tell you what the previous owner had in there. So this week or next, im sendin my baby in for a service and i will let you know how that goes. as for shops in the area, anyone around philly/norristown/pottstown, know of a cheap reliable shop? BTW Thanks for the info everyone. im glad i found a reliable page i can turn to.

Old 05-13-2006, 08:56 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

I would think since you liked what that mechanic told you on oils, then give them a try for service.

Quick Reply: maintance question