General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Clutch wont engage

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2006, 03:15 AM
Default Clutch wont engage

I just tore my engine apart from head to toe to change out a internal starter gear, got it back together and she starts and runs great. Only problem is that the clutch lever has no resistance and it wont engage. Im trying to figure more out about the pushrod assembly and how the clutch actually works to figure out this problem. Am i supposed to be able to push on the pushrod at all, because mine doesnt budge and from wut i remember when i put it together there wasnt anything for it to spring back or w/e. I just dont get it. If anyone knows a lil about hydraulic clutches, plsssss help me. BTW, i have tried bleeding it a cpl times with no results.

Old 05-10-2006, 03:59 AM
Default RE: Clutch wont engage

Alright partner I believe you need to bleed it some more.Sometimes you get air in the line and it needs to come out before the clutch will engage.First gravity bleed the line.Pour your fluid in the fill tube with it disconnected from the slave unit(the part thats actually engauges the rod.Then connect your line back up and do it again with everything connected.If there is any air in the line it wont work.Or your slave cylinder is bad,but bleed it first.

Old 05-10-2006, 04:36 AM

OK. ill try that when i have sum1 to help me later today. another question though. About the rod again, after i take theslave cylinder off the rod will just slide out, is that normal? It has a metal cap on the end of it (slave cylinder side) but thats all there is to it? Sumthin dont seem right but im hoping it is and that bleeding it your way will do it.

Old 05-10-2006, 06:09 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Going off of memory again, but I believe that the rod is just a rod and can be pulled out with the slave off. You mentioned that you had the entire engine apart? So you know that the clutch pack is put together correctly? If that was the case then, I would say air also.

Old 05-12-2006, 04:32 AM

You were right, I bled it the way you said and shazam! You are a god to me

Now i have another problem (of course). I added some Sea Foam carb cleaner to my tank. I added way too much, put about 6 gallons worth into about 1.5 gallons of gas because im a retard. Anyways, about 5-10 minutes later the engine started knocking. Now remember, i just put this engine back together so this noise scares me. I added a couple gallons to see if that would help but it hasnt yet. Should i jus burn through this tank and hope it goes away with the fuel? Its just wierd that it ran fine before i put the additive into the gas but would that make the engine knock?

BTW I had an oil drip that i couldnt locate so i added a bottle of this stuff that makes your oil glow neon so you can locate leaks easy, not sure if that could also be the reason or not.

Old 05-12-2006, 04:54 AM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

Man!! It shouldn't.. I have never used sea foam in a bike but in plenty of cars. I think you have a coincidental problem there.. Is it a lower end knock? Like a rod slapping?

Old 05-12-2006, 05:50 AM

It sounds top end, but it is rather loud, and louder in mid rpm range. If it was sumthin put together wrong wouldnt it make that noise from the get go instead of a day later? I ran it in my garage when the body was still off about 20 times before feeling safe to finish putting it together. Then i added the Sea Foam, took it around the block and the next time i started it it was like that. Actually i accidentaly started it with the gas tank off after i got back but that wouldnt do it i dont think.

Old 05-12-2006, 06:15 AM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

Man that sux.... It doesn't sound like anything you did... I can't see how seafoam or leaving the tank off would effect anything. I've seen a brand new motor shell about a week afterwards, with no signs of it... ended up being a weak rod bolt...

I would definately stop running her until you found the problem... at least in this stage it is still repairable....

Old 05-12-2006, 06:27 AM

Ya, maybe ill see how much it costs to get the stealership to diagnose the issue. Hopefully its sumthin i can do without pslitting the case again, i dont think i ever want to go there again.

Old 05-13-2006, 03:25 AM

I could be wrong but I'm usually not,lol,jk.I think your problem lies in the sea foam.It is a great product unless used wrongly.You have a high compression motor factory and it needs a minimal octane rating to combust fuel properly.When you added sea foam you did this.Sea foam first is a detergent aggent used for cleaning valves and and removing carbon it also has other uses but that is it's formost: it is not an octane booster it actually lowers your octane rating so the engine tries to use more oxygene.This makes the carbon deposites lose there grip on the wall serfices in your motor.What you have done is lowered your octane level about five points and you have spark knock(hopefully).This is a detonation problem.You need to empty that tank of fuel and start over.Hopefully you didn't wash out a cylinder or bend a valve.Also change your plugs to one heat range colder.It sounds backwards but trust me.I'm like Rome:I'm OUT

Quick Reply: Clutch wont engage