General Motorcycle Discussion Have some questions or information about riding that is not tech? Here you go!

E10 Ethanol Safe in a ZRX1200??

Old 03-21-2008, 09:48 PM
PAH
Default E10 Ethanol Safe in a ZRX1200??

Hi all,

I just signed up with this forum. This is my first thread. I did a search on the topic but scored a blank.

I ride a 2006 ZRX1200 (still under warranty). Kawasaki Australia warn me NOT to use E10 (E-anything) in my bike.Ethanol is no doubt not compatible with fuel system components.

Australia is likely to mandate E5 for all fuels sold here. Is it possible to convert a ZRX1200 to run on an ethanol blend? If so, how?

Also, the bike kicks into first gear with a bit of a jolt. Is it possible to adjust the clutch to reduce this? I've had a play around with the adjuster on the clutrch lever but this makes no difference.

Final questions. How long does it take a standard ZRX1200 to cover the quarter mile? Are there any easy performance mods for this bike?

PAH - Sydney

Old 03-21-2008, 09:54 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: E10 Ethanol Safe in a ZRX1200??

Hey PAH,I don't know about the E10 but welcome to the site and nice bike to have by the way. Try the ZRXOA website,one of the members here pointed me that way when I got my zrx1100 and it does have some great reads.Try the zrx section here even

Old 03-21-2008, 11:52 PM
1st Gear Member

The problem with ethanol is that it raises combustion temperatures in your engine which gives you a greater chance of pre-detonation, or knocking. I never run it in my bike either. There is no other reason not to run it that I know of.

About the bike jumping into gear, you can't do anything about it. It will mainly do it when cold. pulling in the clutch for 10-20 seconds after start up will sometimes help since it allows the oil to circulate in between the clutch plates.

Welcome to the forums!

Old 03-21-2008, 11:54 PM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

Welcome to the forums..... In the US, over 85% of standard gasoline has some ethanol blend in it. I thought there was no problem to run E5, E7 or E10 in un modified engines. E10 is 10% ethenol and 90% gas. Should have no problem running in your bike. According to the Dept of Energy, E10 does not harm fuel systems or engines. If you chose to run E85, then an adapter kit could be bought to run that mixture. I have run E10 from a shell station, and have had no problems with it. They told me it was equilevent to 100 octane.

These specs here, are from online...Your bike shuld be around 112hp, 82 ft lbs torque...with a Dynojet kit, k&n air filter, the removal of the “snorkel†on the side of the air box an exhaust system 112bhp to the low 130s at the rear wheel. According to the reviews and tests done on that bike.

I didn't see anything on 1/4 mile times, didn't look REAL hard either tho, lol, but I would guess low 11's....???

Old 03-22-2008, 07:50 AM
PAH

Thanks for the replies.

If E10 etc has been used in yourZRX's over a period of time, and if USA bikes have the same fuel system as Aussie bikes, it should be OK for me. I'm just a bit concerned by the warning from Kawasaki Aust. Maybe Kawasakiwill release a naked bike with fuel injectors and an oxy sensor to cope with ethanol fuels?

Apart from running hotter, there's also the issue of ethanol compatibility with fuel system rubbers and seals. I am not sure if the comments below apply to ZRX's:

There are also some concerns that ethanol will react with some "rubber" fuel system components in older vehicles causing fuel leaks from hoses, diaphragms etc and is therefore not recommended for use in pre 1986 vehicles.
http://racq.com/cps/rde/xchg/racq_cm...4_ENA_HTML.htm

I will try holding the clutch in longer to see if it picks up 1st gear with a smaller kick. I wonder if adding a PTFE oil additive would smooth things out without causing clutch slip??

PAH

Old 03-22-2008, 02:41 PM

welcome to KF! that was a good point, hel ive learned sumthing.

Old 03-22-2008, 03:14 PM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

If it was me, I would not run PTFE additive, or any other kind of teflon product. Kawaskai's don't have the smoothest tranny, but they are tuff...... Play around with different brand oils, viscosities, etc, and you will get one that will perform better in that bike, and smooth the tranny a little.

I went thru 4-5 different brands, and finally settled on mobil1....Smoothed the tranny out pretty darn decent.

And make sure you don't have any slack in your chain, and it is properly adjusted and lubed also. What idle rpm are you running?

Old 03-22-2008, 06:39 PM
1st Gear Member

mobil1 one is a good choice. I agree that oil additives are a big NO-NO for motorcycles.

Old 03-23-2008, 12:27 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: PAH

Hi all,

I just signed up with this forum. This is my first thread. I did a search on the topic but scored a blank.

I ride a 2006 ZRX1200 (still under warranty). Kawasaki Australia warn me NOT to use E10 (E-anything) in my bike.Ethanol is no doubt not compatible with fuel system components.

Australia is likely to mandate E5 for all fuels sold here. Is it possible to convert a ZRX1200 to run on an ethanol blend? If so, how?

Also, the bike kicks into first gear with a bit of a jolt. Is it possible to adjust the clutch to reduce this? I've had a play around with the adjuster on the clutrch lever but this makes no difference.

Final questions. How long does it take a standard ZRX1200 to cover the quarter mile? Are there any easy performance mods for this bike?

PAH - Sydney
First, welcome. I saw where you posted up at the ZRXOA.

Stock HP for a ZRX1200 in 112. A pipe, stage 1 jet kit w/k & n filter will get you about 122-125. Pods will get you anywhere from 130-136. ZZR cams with that config will get over 140HP. 1224 kits will get you 160+ with over 100 ftlbs of torque.
Drop to a 16 tooth front, or a 44 tooth rear, or both. If you do both, watch out. Front end will come up at the slightest twist of the throttle.

Ahh, the classic Kawasaki tranny clunk. Nothing will stop it, just make it not as hard. The adjustment on the lever justs changes the release point of the clutch. Pulling the clutch in for about 10 seconds before you drop into first helps. Synthetic oil helps it also. My '01 ZRX has 69k on it and the tranny is almost shifts as smooth as silk. My '05 has 10k and it hits harder. I've been running Mobil 15w-50 for over 63k of the 69k the '01 has with no problems. Do not add anything like Slick 50. I'm pretty sure you will get clutch slippage from it.

Years ago when gasahol was made, I think it was 10% ethonal. I wouldn't think trying a tank to see what happens will hurt.

Stock ZRX 1/4 mile is around 11.5 sec.

BTW, you suck. The ZRX has been discontinued in the states since '05.

Old 03-23-2008, 03:45 AM
PAH

Hi Kev,

BTW,I suck?? The ZRX has been discontinued in the states since '05?? Here's something to cheer you up mate . . .

http://www.kawasaki.com.au/index.php...amp;product=13

Kawasaki Australia continues to sell the ZRX1200 in 2008. I bought mine just before Jan 1st 2007. The dealer discounted a 2006 model to clear stock.

I read a few stories onthe various JapaneseSuper Sport bikeswith a mass of around 170 kg or less. It seems to me that the quest for mass reduction has (at least in some cases) resulted in lighter duty engine internals. It's my guess that the mass reduction program has not affected the ZRX engine. I assume it will probably last longer than some of the cutting edge full-on race bikes.

One critisism of the ZRX - the seat is &%$@# uncomfortable! I walk like John Wayne after an hour on the road.

PAH

Kevin Evans

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: E10 Ethanol Safe in a ZRX1200??