General Motorcycle Discussion Have some questions or information about riding that is not tech? Here you go!

Craftsman... my last dealings with them - definite rant!

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2016, 09:17 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Craftsman... my last dealings with them - definite rant!

Today I learned that a perfect condition Craftsman torque wrench with a malfunctioning ratchet head is a throw away, apparently as valuable as a used spork! It was used on about three sets of lug nut torquing sessions, the ratchet head has failed. I never loosened a bolt/nut with it and have never gone over 100 ft-lb torque setting with it. The ratchet head fails to hold properly to tighten the fasteners. It clicks and slips. I finished the job with an $11.99 Harbor Freight torque wrench.

Took the tool where I bought it at Sears, the warranty - 1 year. ONE YEAR for defects, 90 days if used commercially. An $11.99 Harbor Freight torque wrench (using the ubiquitous coupon) has a life time warranty against a defect like that, no mention of commercial use. I left the defective torque wrench at the store... kinda knocked it off the counter while telling them they can keep it. It's junk to me, clutter in the garage. I will be picking up a real 30 year old Craftsman beam torque wrench from my late father's garage next time I have the chance.

I also have had a broken Craftsman spark plug socket that will not be replaced because they don't sell them separately since they are sold in sets. Apparently I have to break a set of three for replacement?

I've tried working with Sears for tax exempt ordering of equipment on a credit card purchase for my classroom, but it is horrendously difficult to do so. Store purchases are no issue, but to order in something using a school credit card - no dice. I'd have to pay tax - which will not be reimbursed by the treasurer and creates a wad of work for the clerical staff and throws up red flags for auditors - and try to get them to refund it after the fact. No way.

I am done with Craftsman for buying new equipment. I will only patronize local owned stores to get the 2"x42" sanding belts that are exclusive to my belt sander and/or any thing that has to come from Sears until I replace the equipment. I will buy the universal sized 4"x36" belts from Harbor Freight or Keim Lumber or anyone but Sears. I will buy the blades for my band saw from Menards or the like since it is not exclusive to Craftsman.

Lowes and Home Depot are a breeze to deal with on returns and purchases compared to Sears. I can return stuff that is clearly from them without a receipt if needed.

Personally I've had it with Sears and the modern version of Craftsman. I will take my chances with Harbor Freight and others.

I will buy tools anywhere but Sears Craftsman. Seems Harbor Freight has a better policy than Craftsman or Sears does. If I deem it necessary to get better I will look to Kobalt, Snap-On or any others.

Old 07-18-2016, 08:50 PM
1st Gear Member

Mark - Sears and Craftsman went to hell years ago. Keep up with the times.

I remember way back in the 1970s as a young-un when Sears went through some major restructuring or something. My grandmother worked there. I remember the family saying the changes were going to be the demise of Sears. I'm surprised they are still around.

Old 07-18-2016, 11:04 PM
1st Gear Member

I'm getting my late father's 30+ year old Craftsman beam torque wrench next time I'm up to see my brother and friends. I only bought the Craftsman wrench because they were 20 minutes closer and I needed a torque wrench fast. Otherwise I'd have gone to Harbor Freight. If they're good enough for Car Craft they're good enough for me.