General Motorcycle Discussion Have some questions or information about riding that is not tech? Here you go!

Chain adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2007, 05:30 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Chain adjustment

Hey everyone i thinkit's time for me to adjust the chain on my bike but i need a little bit of help since i've never have done it before. Does anyone have a write up on how to do this the service mannual is kinda unclear on how to do it properly.

I know it's suppose to be an inch just don't want to mess things up any help is greatly appreciated.

Old 06-14-2007, 01:16 AM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Chain adjustment

OK. I hate to see someone searching for an answer be left to screw something up...
First, finda trustworthy rear stand. For most bikes, put the rear onto the stand. (Clean the crud away from all affected parts.) Loosen the axle bolt a few turns. There should be an adjustmentshaft with 2 nuts on it, in front of your axle slider. Loosen the front (leading) nut a few turns. This will allow the adjustment bolt to move as you adjust it. Now, pay attention. I count the number of threads exposed on the bolt (each side.) They should be nearly identical; maybe one or two off, assuming your rear tire has been properly aligned previously! Take your wrench that fits the adjustment bolt, and adjust so the rear axle slides backward counting each turn of the wrench; 1,2,3,so on. You will see your chain begin to tighten very gradually. Complete about 6 turns for each rear side (left, then right) remembering to turn the bolt the proper direction!! Continue as many turns as needed to tension the chain; just don't do 50 on one side and then 15 on the other. (If needed, write down the number of turns so you remember.) Now, count the number of threads exposed on the adjustment bolts. They should ideally be the same proportion as they were initially, but more threads exposed since you lengthened the distance from the drive sprocket. You'll want about 1-1.5 inches of play in your chain. Don't crank it so tight that it makes a straight line and doesn't move at all!
Optional but suggested: Once your chain has been properly tensioned, take a straight edge across the sidewall of your back tire. It needs to be something fairly rigid and loooong, so you can see if your rear tire is tracking in a straight line with your front tire. If the front end of the straight edge is pointingat an angle inward or outward from the bike, (it should NOT touch the front tire sidewall) you'llknow yourtire won't be tracking straight. Adjust the rear tension bolts accordingly. (That's the short explanation...)
Tighten everything securely. Take it for a ride. Readjust as needed.
Caveat: On some older bikes, the adjustment bolt/tensioner is a U-shaped clamp that wraps around the BACK of the swingarm. To adjust the chain for greater tension, you have to tighten the bolts; not "loosen" them. Same effect, though; it pulls your axle plane toward the rear of your bike, thus increasing the tension on your chain.
That's how I do it, anyway.

Old 06-14-2007, 04:31 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

That thread count is good. I like that. But manufacturing tolerances are still a factor.
I just measure center to center of the axles normally for centering. I keep chain slack to 30-35mm's (depending on ifI wantthewheelbaseshort or long for conditions and setup)

Old 06-14-2007, 04:40 AM
1st Gear Member

Dragone ,,,,,,from front to rear on each side ? I just did a chain adjustment and used the thread count as mentioned above but if there is a easier and a more reliable way I would appreciate any ideas .

Old 06-14-2007, 04:47 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mikeyntnc

Dragone ,,,,,,from front to rear on each side ? I just did a chain adjustment and used the thread count as mentioned above but if there is a easier and a more reliable way I would appreciate any ideas .
yes, front axle to rear axle on both sides. Think about it. You are sliding the rear axle around and cannot depend on the manufacturing marks. But then again, is the front wheel straight? to take these measurements? The above string or straight edge as listed above has been a good method.

Old 06-14-2007, 04:55 AM
1st Gear Member

Thanks .Apparently I missed the string part . It seems to me though that 1.5 is a bit sloppy . I left about 1 on mine .It sure is a bit quieter and shifts a bit smoother .

Old 06-14-2007, 05:03 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

String and the straight edge checks are about the same.
The 30-35mm is directly out of my 10r manual. But yes, it may appear to be abit sloppy. Depending on your riding, suspension setup I would rather have it a little loose than too tight!

Old 06-14-2007, 05:43 AM
1st Gear Member

To tight = skittish (jumpy).............to me .'Preciate it much [sm=smiley20.gif]

Old 06-14-2007, 11:23 AM
1st Gear Member

You shouldn't adjust your chain while up on a rear stand. Once you set it and put the bike back down, the tension changes. Could be too tight or too lose.

Roll the bike until you find the tightest spot on the chain and then adjust to manual specs. Tighten back up and then go for a ride and check tension again.

Old 06-14-2007, 02:11 PM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

1. Rear stand
2. 1.5 inch wiggle.
3. Take it off rear stand.
4. Do the math.

Quick Reply: Chain adjustment