Gear Section Have some questions about the best safety gear for you? Ask it here!

Gear to take on motorcycle camping trip

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2012, 06:46 PM
1st Gear Member

Excellent!!! I really like the number plate bag. I have to check into one for mine. With my current setup, I find I don't have enough easy-access storage. The tent and sleeping pad pretty much cover the saddle bags, and make getting to anything in them a real hassle until I get the bike unloaded at the campsite.

I keep a Fiskars retractable saw in my tool kit... sort of a hold-over from my snowmobile survival kit. When we got to our camp site Friday night, my friend says "nice, we don't have anything to cut wood with...". I whipped out my little saw, and went crazy on all the downed trees nearby. We had a great fire that night and plenty for another fire in the morning. My Fiskars saw will easily cut stuff up to about 5 inches in diameter.

I also forgot to mention ammo, etc. I bring my P22 with me on every outing. I figure if SHTF, I can take small game with it if I need to.

Attached Thumbnails Gear to take on motorcycle camping trip-fiskars-garden-tools-retractable-saw-6-inch-i4fa504659b109.jpg  
Old 10-03-2012, 12:29 AM
1st Gear Member

I've got to scan a pic of my old EX loaded down with crap, parked under a fallen Redwood. Not an ideal load configuration...every 50 miles or so, I had to push the load back with my butt to keep from getting pushed into the tank.
My KLX has only done day rides into the woods...planning on loading her down for a long trip to Thanksgiving, camping included. Unless I get the KLX650R running and plated in time...camping will still be involved.
The 250 is my favorite bike ever so far, it's going to be a minimalist touring machine, it's just a matter of time(and $$$).

Old 11-07-2012, 04:11 AM
drm
1st Gear Member
Default back to the top

I recently purchased a number plate bag from dirt-bike-gear.com and I like it a lot.

What kind of sleeping bags are you guys using. I have a wolfman alpha bag and mine takes up most of my room.

Name:  PIC_0146a.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  145.0 KB

Old 11-07-2012, 04:13 AM
drm
1st Gear Member

i've got to find some better pics...

Old 11-07-2012, 05:36 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by drm
What kind of sleeping bags are you guys using. I have a wolfman alpha bag and mine takes up most of my room.
The old down bag my dad gave me about 20 years ago. I know...no help to you but that's what I use...

Old 11-07-2012, 02:20 PM
red
1st Gear Member

one of the 3 sleeping bags the military issued me

Old 11-08-2012, 01:19 AM
1st Gear Member

I took an old White Stag 3.5 lb rectangular bag on my first trip. I bought a better, (but almost as big) 20 degree mummy bag for the second trip. Nearly froze to death on the first trip, stayed nice and cozy on the second.

Old 11-08-2012, 02:57 AM
drm
1st Gear Member

Yeah, I think my slumberjack is a 20 degF too. It is rather bulky to pack.

Old 11-15-2012, 12:31 AM
1st Gear Member

Compression sacks are good for bulky things like sleeping bags. They can often reduce the size of a sleeping bag by 50% or more. And good ones have extra d-rings to attach it to other things. I put a plastic bag inside(left open on the top, at first) to help keep the bag dry, compress it, open it, gooseneck the plastic bag, then re-close the compression sack. Stays dry 99% of the time strapped on the back of the bike, in the weather.
I think the best "tent" for a motorcycle trip might be a Megamid or similar. It is not free standing but are pretty excellent because they have no floor(you can attach one if needed), so you can cook in it, or even roll in the bike if needed(if set up properly). The roll up pretty small and have only one pole. We used one in Alaska and added side walls made of Tyvek when we raised it up off the ground.
And Tyvek makes great ground tarps for tents, just need to sew some pieces together. I've even made a bag that fit over my sleeping bag and pad, for nights outside the tent. It helps keep the dew off the bag.
The Tyvek is very loud at first but as it breaks in it gets quiet. It will lose it's waterproof quality over time, but it's cheap and easy to work with, so making new stuff is easy.

Old 11-15-2012, 02:50 AM
red
1st Gear Member

here's a pic of that bivy I use when camping off the bike or hiking

Name:  PB080153.jpg
Views: 195
Size:  124.6 KB

1 man tent with floor and has a single rod to hold the tent off of your face when sleeping. When packed up in the bag it's about 1'x4"x3"

Quick Reply: Gear to take on motorcycle camping trip