Gear Section Have some questions about the best safety gear for you? Ask it here!

feedback on preforated jakets

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2007, 03:11 AM
1st Gear Member
Default feedback on preforated jakets

After 5 years its time to retire the old Joe Rocket textile jacket. its served me well but 4 the last 2 seasons its had a couple small holes in sleeve and a patched up shoulder from hittin the ground at 50mph. ( looped one trying to show off for da wife in front of the house) no road rash... on my torso anyway. My awesome wife said i can upgrade ALL my gear and even splurge on leather. Think im goin 4 the A-star preforated stage jaket and was looking 4 feedback if anyone has it or any other preforated leather. stayed away from preforation in textile cuz i didnt think it would hold up but scared of being to hot in a full on leather jacket any feedback would b appreciated also anyone wear strap on kneepads under pants good or bad?? thanks all sorry if its long winded

Old 01-27-2007, 08:56 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: feedback on preforated jakets

I have used JR perforated gear for years, Istill have original blaster jacket and speed master pants that have survivedtwo 50+ get offs. I recommend the Joe Rocket stuff for sure.

As far as the Alpine Stars I almost switched last time be was not impressed by the quality, it even cost more than the JR stuff. The zippers on the A-stars were smaller and one actually pulled apart on me in the store when I was doing some knee bends to test the feel.

I when back and got an new Speed master, JR, jacket and love it. This one is not perforated but it is intended for the track so I wanted more protection. I still would recommend the perforated leather by JR it rocks and I would not be here right now if not for my JR gear.

Old 01-27-2007, 10:57 PM
1st Gear Member

I had a Fieldshear leather / mesh Mach 2 jacket on when I crashed last year. No damage. I didn't slide though. I hi
sided doing about 30 and just slammed to the ground.

I have an Alpinestars mesh jacket now.Armour in the right areas. Really don't know how it will hold up during a slide.

Perf leather is really the way to go. I do have a Joe Rocket Kawasaki replica that has 2 zipper vents in front and
2 in back. One zipper vent on each sleeve up on the bicep area. Fully opened it is cool as can be. I have worn it riding
in 90 degreeS.W. Florida heat. Great while moving, sux sitting at a light.

Downside to perf is it's tough to wear when it's cold.

Old 01-27-2007, 11:19 PM
1st Gear Member

I have the A-star jacket you're talking about, for me it works great!
It's my first street bike jacket so I have nothing to compare too..... but I have had it for a few months now and it's works for me...... I'm sporting all A-star gear, comfy and feels like good protection if anything was to go wrong....

[IMG]local://upfiles/2597/8DED37764A7244BE82F5299160DFC650.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-28-2007, 08:49 PM
1st Gear Member

Yea think im goin with it will compare the rocket stuff 2 i can allways wear my old one when its cold its 2 big anyway and theres room 4 a sweatshirt under it ( and a bag of groceries) havent gotten to see the astar jac in person just online. It does get cold way up here in maine but im hot enough in the summerin my textile cant amagine what a ten pound leather would b like those are the pants i was considering 2 u have Exellent tastehow u like them i want leather pants 2 but mite b to much black cuz im getting a shoei diabolic helmet 2 wish they made something protective that u dont look siily in off the bike or have to take off and carry when u actually go somewhere besides just a ride tierd of risking my legs to wear jeans thanks 4 the input

[IMG]local://upfiles/4055/DE8D97B941054FE89AE4D2EF4524D9AB.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-28-2007, 10:45 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

I know these are not perforated, but they have seen 16yrs of abuse. hahaha a little sweat is ok if you are comfy with some solid protection.

Name:  7Jan07058.jpg
Views: 7
Size:  10.6 KB

Old 01-29-2007, 02:08 AM
1st Gear Member

thanks, i'm very pleased with the gear i got.....

the pants take a little time to break in but after that they are great.....
i used leather conditioner on all the gear which makes it a little easier to break in and will probably protect it for some time!!!!

Old 01-29-2007, 05:28 PM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

I have the A-Star perforated jacket and I love it. It also has a removable liner in it so you can take it out during the warmer months. Last week I had to take my bike over to a friends house and with the liner in I was not cold at all. the temps that night where about 25-30 degrees.

Old 01-29-2007, 06:32 PM
Knee Dragging Pimp
1st Gear Member

my only bitch about pref leather are butter flys. picking them nasty *** bastards out of all those little holes sucks.

Old 01-30-2007, 03:57 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

^ good point

Quick Reply: feedback on preforated jakets