New Owner of 125

Old 10-20-2013, 03:52 PM
Default New Owner of 125

Hi All, we picked up a nice little 125 couple of months ago with only 6K on it, in great condition. Couple of dents in the tank from a parking lot drop, but for $500, I can't complain.
So far, we have removed rear turn signals so we could install hard saddlebags with turn signals molded into them.

Moved the headlight out 2" to show more of the bucket and improve the look. Plus, it is easier to clean

Removed the decel valve and blocked it off with a plate

We are removing the air filter/battery box and installing a K&N pod filter. For a battery box, I used an index card metal box(fits the battery perfect).

We lowered the front by 3/4" by sliding the tubes up the triple trees- riding characteristics improved a good bit.

Replaced the muffler with a slip on that is freer flowing- louder, yes.

Next is tuning the carb- need to open the air mixture a tad and maybe go up one size on the primary- possibly shim the needle 0.50" higher to improve throttle response.

When we repair the tank, we are going to fill the seams to smooth the look out.

Oh, we also put a blue dot in the tail light but didn't use the chrome bezel, we glued it in with acrylic glue to give it a factory look- we put red gel inside to keep local LEO happy but it does have a nice look to it.

Thanks- interested in any other mods folks have done to these little cruisers..

Last edited by mrwoodboat; 10-20-2013 at 07:24 PM.
Old 10-20-2013, 11:27 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Get some pics up! Sounds like a great ride. Congrats. What is the final purpose of this ride? What can/slip on did you use? I like the .5mm needle shim idea with the stock needle (worked on my sea level rides). I have no experience with this ride, so the other mods are something that I would be willing to see.

Welcome to KF

Old 10-20-2013, 11:55 PM

This is just a tool around town bike- only reason we picked it up is the owner was moving and could not take it with him- told me to give him something towards the new brakes, tires and chain so I asked if he would take $500- we rode it home.
I used an Emgo Dunstill style can- it is a reverse cone and is repackable (I repack them with stove rope). I will post some pix tomorrow..

Old 10-20-2013, 11:57 PM

The shim really opens the mid range response- ACE hardware has #4 flat washers, get 2 of them and I usually run them across a wet stone just to make sure there are no burrs.

Old 10-24-2013, 03:34 PM
1st Gear Member

Yeah man, sounds like a cool build up, get some pictures up and keep us updated.

Old 10-27-2013, 04:43 PM

Breakdown of the mods so far: replaced factory muffler with an EMGO reverse cone- saved about 15#- needed an adaptor to go from 1 3/8" to 1 3/4" We turned one from pipe fittings
Removed the air box, and the decal valve. Covered the opening on the side of the cylinder with an aluminum plate. Made a new battery box out of a metal index card box, 2 holes in bottom and it bolts right to the holes from the factory box.
PCV was routed to the rear and a small crankcase filter installed on a T with 4" of hose after that has a plug in it to collect condensed oil vapors.
K&N pod filter ordered for carb-
Carb tuning: drilled out plug above air mixture- set to 2 full turns out from lightly seated. Factory jets are 32.5 and 125- ordered 35,36 AND 130 jets.

Anticipated results- better mid range response, easier starting and it should have better top end. We will look at gearing after seeing how this motor responds to breathing better. We did shave 22# off of the bike with these changes.