DIY - Do It Yourself Within you will find how-to's on many aspects of modding and caring for your bike as told by your fellow members.

HOW-TO Chain/Sprockets/brakes Replacement (1995-1997 0zx-6r)

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2007, 03:27 PM
Default HOW-TO Chain/Sprockets/brakes Replacement (1995-1997 0zx-6r)

This is for instrucional purposes only, I cannot save you from yourself so use this at your own risk. It tells you the basic process in replacing your chain with an endless OEM unit. OEM brake pads, and I put in -1,+2 sprockets...
Well I figured that I would doa quick little writeup with pictures to show how I replaced my chain and sprokets without needing any special tools or equiptment (ie. no chain breakers, no riveter, no press)

This write-up is specific to 1995-1997 zx-6r but I would assume that later and newer model owners could use a similar process.

I removed the rear plastics and the seats, that is pretty self explanitory.. If you are like me and do not have access to a motorcyle specific jack you will need to purchase 2 eye bolts (threaded for wood) and I drilled them into joists in the cieling in my garage a little further apart then the width of the rear subframe on the bike. I then used ratchet straps to support the bike and even jacked each side up untill the rear wheel was up off the ground.

*MAKE SURE YOUR FRONT FORKS ARE STRAIGHT AND FACING FORWARD*

Next I lossened the rear wheel stud (long bolt that goes throught the wheel) and then proceeded to loosen the rear swingarm adjusters (on the ends of each arm) until the adjusters were all the way to the front of the slide area. I then walked the chain off the rear sprocket and let it hang to the side, and removed the Rear wheel stud and wheel.

*BE CAREFUL AND MAKE SURE YOU SUPPORT THE REAR CALIPER TO AVOID DAMAGE*

When the rear wheel is off note where each of the rollers and bearings go and how they fit back in the wheel. And work your way around to the left side of the bike and remove the front sprocket cover, and the stay bolt. By now you should also loosen the lower fairings at the back under the rear shock. Couple 10mm bolts and it should hang free. This will give you more access to the shock . Remove the one bolt that holds the shock "stay" connectors (at the bottom) and go ahead and remove the lower shock bolt. Use the access hole to remove the upper bolt to the shock. Slide the shock out of the bottom (while snaking the adjusting cyl throught he frame) This requires you remove the clamps of course.

*MAKE SURE NOT TO DAMAGE THE HOSE OR CYL*

You are almost done.! Remove the one bolt that holds up the swingarm and pull it free. Sweet, your bike is in 100 peices. Now all you have to do in make sure you install the new ENDLESS chain around the rear swingarm and then do the previous process in reverse.. Torque everything down to OEM specs and that is done.

I will load up pictures and finish the writeup on the brakes and sprockets over the weekend.