1980 kz440 ltd headlight and turn signals WONT work!

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2013, 02:48 AM
Exclamation 1980 kz440 ltd headlight and turn signals WONT work!

I bought the bike from a girl who wanted to turn it into a cafe racer. I had to replace cables, filters, rebuild the front caliper, bleed the front brake after having replaced the lever assembly and master with a good used one from ebay. i rebuilt the carb really good, (works great at .75 turns out on the pilot screw), but i have a mysterious wiring problem that was here since i got the bike. THE LIGHTS DONT WORK!! (except the tail and brake lights)

by the way the bike blew out rust colored dust the first time i got it running. slapped a new battery in it, and it barely fired, and for a week it ran on one cylinder, until i finally realized how fouled the plugs had become.. haha, great little bikes.

Anyway, i looked at and tested the fuses, rear is good, front is good, and main is good, i even swapped them for new ones just to make sure. I dont see any craziness in the wiring, and honestly i have NO idea how to read a wiring diagram, although thats not for a lack of trying. Any ideas? all bulbs are good, i rebuild the left handle switch assembly today and im getting good readings from the switches for turn signals, bright/dim, etc. but no light. bike is almost flawlessly running now, so i know i have good electrical, especially since the damn tail light works fine.

... HELP!!
Thank guys, i hope you have some ideas.

on a side not, right next to the fuses, there is a relay, whats the relay for? anyone know? and whats that thing on the other side under the side cover that has about 4 or 5 wires coming out of it and looks like a computer processor? is that the "CDI Box?" which i have no idea what it does..?

Where should i check next??

Old 11-08-2014, 08:45 PM

Make sure all of the ground leads leading from the wiring harness to ground (frame) are properly grounded or you will end up with electrical issues. I had to completely rewire my KZ1000P project bike. It is all completed but, I thought I would lose my marbles while reading wiring schematics for weeks.

End result, well worth the hard work! Also, check wiring going into headlight bucket. Due to movement of harness that is tucked into headlight bucket, while riding... connections can come loose. Double check all bulbs as well. I came across a failed running light but, instead of checking bulb first, I began to take sh*t apart for no reason at all. Lesson learned, begin with basics before diving into more complex systems on bike. One more tip, check wiring harness that runs under fuel tank. There are a couple harness connectors that can come loose and cause electrical issues! I'd check ALL connectors on bike just to make sure all electrical connections are secure. Good luck, take your time.

Old 11-12-2014, 12:48 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

welcome to KF copbike.

good info