VN800 Valve Adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2008, 01:36 PM
Default VN800 Valve Adjustment

Finally did it... after reading forums, Google searches and the Haynes manual, I summoned up the courage to tear down to the valves and do the necessary check and adjustment. I got the bike at 27,000KM and now have 36K on it, and the tell-tale ticking told me that if the service had been done at 20K it was well overdue.

I have to admit there was a LARGE degree of nervousnes... but it's always the same story, I get all worked up thinking it's going to be a nightmare and I'll be rolling the chasis of my bike up onto a trailer with a pick-up truck full of removed parts, begging for the dealer not to laugh at me while he sorts it out, but ends up being such a simple process I wonder what the hell I was concerned about in the first place!

I found a PDF doc during one of the Google searches andwas an awesome help, and when it came time to do the job (last night, wife and kids away camping, no interuptions, no time limit!) it was as easy as recognizing what had to happen, and doing it... meaning, you can look at the bike, see that the valve covers have to come off, and just start removing things that prevent that from happening... it was that simple.

Once again, that PDF was right... for the following reasons:

You don't have to remove everything the manual says you have to, including and especially draining the coolant. Yes, there will be a little spillage, but not enough to even be concerned about topping it off when you're done. Just be ready for it, with maybe some cardboard on the ground and a few bits of rag to plug the hoses once you disconnect them.

You have to be careful to watch hose and tube routing before you start reattaching things... my fuel vent hose was behind the air box when I got the tank back on, but it was a two minute process to fix.

THe ONLY issue, if there even was one, was that it was hard to get the fuel supply hose off the petcock, and I ended up cutting it to get it off. All that meant was I lost a half inch off the end of the hose. If that was my worst problem, then I guess that was a pretty simple one to have!

But in all seriousness, if you are even CONSIDERING performing this maintenance yourself then I'd say you can do it. If you're worried about it, I'd like to suggest that if you know which way to turn a bolt to loosen it without thinking about it, you've got the skills to do this job! I can give you all the detail you want if it helps, but again, that PDF was my bible, I highly recommend it!

Everyone is right about the time too... I removed the first bolt at 6:00, and was starting the bike at 9:00, I worked at a relaxed pace and a couple of neighbours came over to see what was happening. I was washing the bike by 9:30 after a quick run, and back in the house at 10:00. Fortunately I had all night if need be, and I'm pretty sure the next time could be less than 2 hours.

That PDF was so helpful, it's worth passing along... but I'm new to this forum and haven't found a way to attach a PDF, if it's even possible. If you're considering the valve adjustment on this model, feel free to ask and I'll send it along, it was very descriptive, includes pictures and made the whole process pretty idiot-proof!

Old 08-28-2012, 08:06 PM

Hi Jeff,

I would like to request for that PDF. Am thinking of adjusting my valves on my 96 vn800classic that I recently bought. already done the carbs. thank you very much. please email it at wdcpolousa@gmail.com

Ver

Old 12-03-2012, 05:04 AM

Sounds like some great info. If you or anyone still has this PDF..

mikeme501@yahoo.com