04 Kawasaki EN500C lighting/electrical issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2016, 04:17 PM
Default 04 Kawasaki EN500C lighting/electrical issue

New riding season where I'm at. Just had anew set of 55W driving lights installed. Rode for a while,battery ran out of juice so charged. Would completely take a charge, soreplaced battery & after charging went for a 10-15 mile ride & stoppedfor a while. Tried to start on leaving, not enough juice to turn over (horn& lights worked). Jumped it & brought home to charge battery again. Myquestions relate to: 1) Is it possible that the 55W lights are pulling morejuice than the charging system can replace (they are on constantly when the keyis on), 2) is there a problem with the charging system, or 3) could the lightshave been wired wrong. No fuses have blown. Also wondering if it is felt thatthe lights are pulling too much power, would switching to LED lights correctthe issue. I'm not a wrench or electrician. I've heard that some of these bikeshave a weak (slow) charging system & it's been questioned on my end thatthis may be the issue. Any thoughts or insights appreciated
Update
I've checked thebattery with a meter. With bike off, 12.5 reading noted. Turn the bike withoutthe new running lights and on revving engine & running lights off, 13.5 at idle. readingincreases and at 5000 rmp, a 14.5-7 noted. When I replace fuse for runninglights, the volts drop in the 12 volt range. Stays stable fairly well afterrunning for a while. Voltage does not increase with revving. With runninglights on & re-starting, volts drop into 11 range and at repeat starts, sawit drop as low as 9.9. Ran for 40+ minutes in the garage and did not have anynon-starting issues. I still question if these running lights are pulling more than therecharging system can handle and that this is what eventually leads toinability to start. Would switching to an LED light system address this issue?Thanks!

Old 05-12-2016, 07:32 AM
1st Gear Member

Lights are drawing too much power, they should be set up with a relay and a switch to turn them off. If they were used only at highway speeds you could probably get away with it, however at low engine revs the lights (combined with headlight, tail light etc is drawing far too much and discharging your battery.
It is possible seeing as your bike is 12 years old the charging system may not be as good as it was when new and could possibly do with a freshen up however if things were ok before you put the lights on (wired incorrectly) than you have your answer.
LED's would be a much better option and cheaper than rewiring your alternator.