New battery, no starting, not even clicking

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2016, 04:06 AM
Default New battery, no starting, not even clicking

I just got a 2007 1600cc Nomad from a buddy. It's been sitting almost two years and he just gave it to me to sell for him. I put a new battery in it. Lots of power, but the headlight doesn't come on; as I have never owned one, I don't know if it stays off until the bike starts. When I turn the key, I can hear the fuel pump priming, but I get nothing when I hit the start switch, not even a click. When I turn the kill switch (not the key) off then on, I don't hear the pump re-prime, as I do on my VTX 1800. I have tried push starting it, but on one attempt I got a bit of a pop-pop but nothing. I have added new fuel as well as some gas line dryer. I checked the ignition fuse, and it was good. But I don't know how to find the ignition module (if it has one) or to remove it or how to test it. Could it be the kill switch? Can it be cleaned or does it need to be replaced? When I popped the clutch on a subsequent try, it felt like the clutch wasn't engaging or slipping badly and the motor didn't try to turn over at all. I'd like to get this running soonest. What are the first steps to eliminate, in order of cost? Now that it has a new, fully charged battery, I can begin to start this process. Thanks in advance, folks.