Hard starting in foggy weather

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2013, 07:35 PM
Question Hard starting in foggy weather

Hi all. I am new to the forum. I have a 2008 Vulcan Mean Streak Special Edition. I have been experiencing an issue since I bought this bike last year. When-ever it's foggy out or there is a lot of moisture in the air, the bike turns over and over and even thuds now and then like it wants to start, but doesn't start. If I leave it sit until the air outside warms up and is dry, the bike cranks right up....

Being an early morning worker (I have to be at work by 6am) This has become an issue many times.

Normally, the bike is kept on a car port covered with a full size bike cover and a heating pad shoved up under the tank on the fuel injector side or the air intake side. I usually crank up the bike and let it warm up around 9PM every night. Usually this fixes the issue.... But it's a hassle!

I have been to every mechanic in town, and none seem to know where to even begin looking.

Any ideas or insight would be welcomed a lot!

Old 07-21-2013, 10:53 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Welcome to KF

What modifications are on the ride? I am assuming that you are at sea level because of the fog? How many miles on it? Are all the smog items still in place? How is the maintenance schedule for this ride?

Old 07-21-2013, 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by Dragone#19
Welcome to KF

What modifications are on the ride? I am assuming that you are at sea level because of the fog? How many miles on it? Are all the smog items still in place? How is the maintenance schedule for this ride?
Thanks for taking the time to post.

43K Miles. Only mod is Kustom Chrome exhaust. Professionally installed and tuned with the engine. Yes, I am at sea level (Near the beach in Florida). The smog items are all in place. The maintenance schedule is up to date.

Old 07-23-2013, 02:35 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by MeanStreakGuy
Thanks for taking the time to post.

43K Miles. Only mod is Kustom Chrome exhaust. Professionally installed and tuned with the engine. Yes, I am at sea level (Near the beach in Florida). The smog items are all in place. The maintenance schedule is up to date.
hmm, something is screwy. If the maintenance and smog stuff checks out,,,,43k miles is nothing. I am guessing smog stuff choking things out since the valves and compression have already been checked during the service. Or a cruddy rubber boot which needs to be replaced.

Old 07-23-2013, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by Dragone#19
hmm, something is screwy. If the maintenance and smog stuff checks out,,,,43k miles is nothing. I am guessing smog stuff choking things out since the valves and compression have already been checked during the service. Or a cruddy rubber boot which needs to be replaced.
That's why it's so weird. No one seems to be able to point to an item to check or look into that would cause such a thing. I will keep investigating though.

Good news is I am moving next week and will have a garage, so maybe it won't be an issue anymore!

Thanks for the input.