Gas Mileage?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2007, 10:45 PM
Default RE: Gas Mileage?

Any differences b/t the 06 and 07 Nomads? I just bought a 06 and am curious of any diff's that I should be aware of pertaining to performance, mechanical +/- of the bike, things to expect or look for, etc...

Thanks,
Daryl

Old 10-08-2007, 12:33 AM

Okay, I got to wondering about gas mileage after todays ride. My wife and I started in southwest Austin, TX and rode backroads down to Gruene, TX. (We parked in a line of a dozen Harleys in Gruene.) From there we took CR 306 past Canyon Lake and caught Hwy 281. Hwy 281 took us to Blanco, TX where we stopped for BBQ. Backroads got us back to Austin. Total miles for the day: 144. It took 3.3 gallons to fill the tank back up. That means we got 43.6 mpg. The route I chose allowed me to avoid most stoplights and I mostly could stay in5th gear. I should also note that I'm a conservative rider, especially when my wife is sitting behind me. Still, that's not bad for a bike as heavy as the Nomad 1600.

Speaking of conservative riders, werolled up on a sportbike riderwho may be riding a bit more conservatively from here on out.He had triedto make a90 degree left turn at too high a speed and learned a lesson in physics. He and his bike were down in a ditch. The dust was still settling when we pulled up and stopped. I'm a retired paramedic andhave seen more bike-related trauma than I care to remember. This guy was lucky thanks to a good helmet, jacket, and gloves. He walked away from the accident. His Honda willneed some attention but the fact that he left the roadway and skidded through the grass kept that to a minimum too. The damage appeared to be cosmetic. I helped him standhis bikeup andhe was able to start it and ride outof the ditch. Bet he is going to be one sore kid in the morning! I guess my point is that having the money to buy a high-performance bike does not instantly make you an expert rider. Riding is dangerous enough without riding beyond your skill level. Take care out there on the road.

John

Old 11-07-2007, 01:48 AM

I have an 06 Meanstreak and trust a full tank but I.ve come to rely on the trip odometer. Although it's not very reliable in term of mileage because I don't trust the speedometer it IS reliable in terms of consistancy. I KNOW that the idiot light will ome on between 90 and 115 miles. That means goand fill up. It ALWAYS takes the same amount of gas (within a couple of 10ths) every time.Upgraded to K&N, power commander, and straight exhausts. I got (with my trip odometer) 38-41 mpg prior to the upgrade. Since the upgrade it runs cooler, more effortlessly, and hasgreater power especially mid and top range, my POST upgrade mpg are 38-41 too,which probably means I ride it harder.

Old 11-11-2007, 07:52 PM

My Stealer told me thatthe'06 Meanstreak I eventually purchased from him had 6 gears when I first went in to the stealership. [:-]

After test driving it and only being able tofind the first 5 I challenged him to make the 6th gear work before I bought it.

*sigh*

(Fortunately I had already researched theMeanie on line and knew that it had 5 gears not 6). But his credibility was SERIOUSLY in question at this point. I surprised him by buying it anyway in spite of his inability to sell it accurately because of everything I read about it, including here in this forum.

Old 11-11-2007, 08:43 PM
1st Gear Member

lol, he should have given you a discount for 6th gear missing!!
It does show you sleasman don't know squat!!

Old 11-11-2007, 10:47 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: streeker

My Stealer told me thatthe'06 Meanstreak I eventually purchased from him had 6 gears when I first went in to the stealership. [:-]

After test driving it and only being able tofind the first 5 I challenged him to make the 6th gear work before I bought it.

*sigh*

(Fortunately I had already researched theMeanie on line and knew that it had 5 gears not 6). But his credibility was SERIOUSLY in question at this point. I surprised him by buying it anyway in spite of his inability to sell it accurately because of everything I read about it, including here in this forum.

hahahahaha, that is just too funny! I would have told him to have someone else who knew what the hell a motorcycle was to come and make the deal!

Old 02-01-2008, 02:38 PM

'06 Meanie. K&N filter in the stock cover, 3" Hardchrome straights, pc111. I get 35 -42 mpg. Of course I use my gps to determine miles and mpg because myspeedometer is too fast (same prob with my wrangler in reverse because of over-sized tires). I think a 6th gear (like the dealer thought was alreadyinstalled ) would be a great upgrade.

Old 02-01-2008, 02:41 PM
1st Gear Member

the meanie should have enough torque for a nice long highway gear. with the gas prices i'm supprised that companies aren't pushing that aspect on their bikes more.

Old 02-01-2008, 05:58 PM

The best part of the "missing sixth gear" in my Meanie was when the Stealer told me that he had owned a 1470cc Meanie once himself and rode it everywhere. That's why he "knew it had 6 gears in it". Now I realize that the ability to count is a gift that comes more easily to some than to others and so I just went with it and challenged him to fix the sixth gear. Eventually he admitted that it must only have 5 gears. []I couldn't get it discounted anymore than I alreadywas able toafter "discovering" that it was "missing a gear" but it wasn't for lack of trying.

Old 02-01-2008, 06:05 PM
1st Gear Member

haha - well you tried