whining noise after letting off throttle

Old 08-21-2010, 02:52 AM
Default whining noise after letting off throttle

I'm noticing a recent noise that I'm hoping someone can help me identify. When I let off the throttle, I'm hearing a noise that is somewhere between a whine and a howl. The higher the revs, the louder the whine. It's not excessively loud, but certainly noticeable, and it is getting more noticable. I first noticed a faint noise within the last week, but thought I was hearing things. The last 2 days has seen the noise increase to the point that there is absolutely no denying it. If I pull in the clutch, it seems to lessen quite a bit.

2001 Vulcan 1500 Classic w/ 38000 miles.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

ET

Old 08-21-2010, 03:20 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Welcome to KF

Have you checked the Final Gear Case Oil? Pg 10-6 in the 99 manual anyways. Should be in the same spot.

Old 08-21-2010, 03:28 AM
1st Gear Member

I agree with drag....imagine that. Let us know what you find!

Welcome to KF!

Old 08-21-2010, 03:48 AM

Thanks guys. I'll check it in the morning. Any suggestions on the best gear oil to use?

ET

Old 08-21-2010, 04:10 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by erictomlin
Thanks guys. I'll check it in the morning. Any suggestions on the best gear oil to use?

ET
I have not played with the different types of gear oil yet. So I do not have any recommendations. Use the standard stuff ( grade API Gl-5 Hypoid Gear Oil) and you can decide after that.

Old 08-22-2010, 12:56 AM

I was not able to get the plug out to check the final drive oil. I broke off the tip of a flat head screwdriver in the process. Is there a preferred tool to remove that plug?

On another note, I put the bike on a center stand and spun the rear wheel. I heard a lot of clacking coming from under the engine cover on the left (shifter) side of the bike. I also noticed the noise when pushing the bike in the drivway. I have never heard that before from my bike. Does this new symptom alter the diagnosis at all?

Old 08-22-2010, 05:34 AM
1st Gear Member

Still going to be driveline issues or transmission, need to check the shaft drive, hopefully you can find an issure there, dont really want to crack open the tranny.

Old 08-22-2010, 09:17 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

yeah, hit up chapter 10 in your manual. Drain, inspect and adjust. Time for maintenance and/or repairs in this stage of the game. Good luck.

Old 05-29-2011, 04:04 AM

did you ever find out what this problem was? My 04 1500fi is doing the same thing all of a sudden. It can't be good! please let me know if you get this post. If any one else ou there can help with diagnosis I am stumped, and don't want to remove engine.HELLLLLLP

Old 05-31-2011, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by pbrider
did you ever find out what this problem was? My 04 1500fi is doing the same thing all of a sudden. It can't be good! please let me know if you get this post. If any one else ou there can help with diagnosis I am stumped, and don't want to remove engine.HELLLLLLP
pbrider...it turned out to be a failing bevel gear bearing. Replacing the bearing was an all day job. I had to remove the bevel gear case from the engine. The manual will tell you that you need to remove the engine, but you don't have to. You will, however, need to lift the back end of the engine up until the top hits the frame. Then you will have just barely enough room to get the bevel gear case out past the frame.

I used a "running journal" from another poster (on another site) as my instrucion guide. It was most helpful. Here is the link.

Vulcan/Mean Streak Bevel Gear Assembly

Check it out and let me know if you have any questions.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: whining noise after letting off throttle