power question

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 08:16 PM
Default power question

I've got a 2001, 1500 Nomad, re jetted carb's, and pipes. My first 1500 I've never rode one until now. It runs good and it seems to pull OK, I like it lot's.
I've also owned several Harley's in my time. My question, do these 1500 Kawasaki's in general have the power the Harley's do riding two up? If so, mine don't. I'm wondering if something is wrong with it.
Thank You

Old 08-14-2009, 02:01 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

What power curve are you tuned at trikes? The 1500 should be able to keep two up happy within a power range. Just curious now. Welcome to KF.

Old 08-14-2009, 12:47 PM

Thank You, Power curve? Would that be if I had Fuel injection? I have carburetor's, am I missing something, Are you referring to the timing curve? I don't feel that torque coming on the on ramps and up hill's. It pulls but it don't feel like a v-twin should to me.

Old 08-15-2009, 12:34 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by trikes
Thank You, Power curve? Would that be if I had Fuel injection? I have carburetor's, am I missing something, Are you referring to the timing curve? I don't feel that torque coming on the on ramps and up hill's. It pulls but it don't feel like a v-twin should to me.
Power curve as in the torque and horsepower curve as viewed on a chart.
I would double check plug readings. Is one cylinder running too lean or rich kind of thing first. Even your seat of the pants torque curve/performance is telling you that something is not correct. And quite honestly, the VN1500 will out perform the HD big twins.

Old 08-15-2009, 02:10 PM

I believe I am running a little rich and the timing seems a little to retarded off idle. However giving that, the idle is to slow giving it that rumpty rump sound many like "me to" but not real good for the engine I suspect.
Your response that it should run with the Harley's is telling me it should run better. I guess the next question, should I take it to a dealer giving it's not stock or a private tuner? Anybody around Seguin, Texas area?

Old 08-17-2009, 04:39 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

read the plugs and if possible just go through the basics of motorcycle tuning to the best of your knowledge or tools. Otherwise take it in to your mechanic because you may end up spending more trying to get it working and the down time of asking questions and getting any answers if applicable. But if working on your ride is your main goal, I am here to help you if I can.

Old 08-17-2009, 02:57 PM

A little more history......
I do have the tools and a small lift. However, I'm also limited doing much work on it in this hot Texas weather we're getting. I must admit I know nothing about this bike I just bought it recently, checked it over, then the wife and I rode it from S.C. to TX. We were very impressed with the ride, it handled well and never missed a lick and didn't use any oil. I have rebuilt a few Harley's ground up in my time, I'm 68 years old, "retired on a budget in an RV park" thought I was done riding. Guess I'm not!
At this point I had best get a book on this engine and bike, learn what makes it tick. Find some biker couple's to ride with pick away at it and enjoy. I thank you for your input and I'll continue to look around for the super tuner in this area.

Old 08-21-2009, 09:11 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Right on trikes. Get the manual and learn your ride. I like your thinking. Congrats on the ride time at the 68 yr old range. I will be there myself. One of these days I hope. lol