help Engine vibration All of a sudden

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2010, 01:42 AM
Default help Engine vibration All of a sudden

Hi
I would appreciate any help I can get
Just noticed ( 07 1500 classic w/9500 miles) my bike has new vibration that's pretty irritating.

2 things happened that may have caused it
1. I had rear exhaust bracket off and had hard time putting it back on I had to put pressure to get bolt back in.

2. hit bump in road that bottomed out rear shock my wife was on back.

I don't think it's wheel or tire because at highway speed I pull in clutch and vibration stops. also vibrates exessivly at idle.

does it seem like one of these things could cause vibration.

thanks

Old 08-28-2010, 07:25 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

I would probably back track on the exhaust. It may be sitting at an angle/pinched and which may lead to a header gasket failure in the future. good luck with that and keep us up to speed on what you find.

Welcome to KF

Old 07-20-2016, 02:03 PM

Hey Blues Cruise, was curious if you ever found the causes for the engine vibration on your bike? I have a 1999 Vulcan Drifter 1500 and has started doing the same thing. It starts vibrating after the engine gets warmed up. I'm pretty sure it's something in the engine because when i pull the clutch in the vibration stops. To me that's tells me it's not coming from the tires or rims or it would still vibrate even with clutch pulled in. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Old 06-17-2019, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by Ace2510
Hey Blues Cruise, was curious if you ever found the causes for the engine vibration on your bike? I have a 1999 Vulcan Drifter 1500 and has started doing the same thing. It starts vibrating after the engine gets warmed up. I'm pretty sure it's something in the engine because when i pull the clutch in the vibration stops. To me that's tells me it's not coming from the tires or rims or it would still vibrate even with clutch pulled in. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Hey Ace,

Or anyone else on here. Anyone figured out the vibration issues on the Vulcan 1600s ?
I bought a mean streak used a few years ago. The owner had modded it with a Cobra FI2000, K&N intake and straight pipes
It was pretty cheap and had only 6000 Km on it.

I have since removed the straight pipes for a proper exhaust from VH with baffles lol.
However I always noticed the vibration around 2500-3000 rpm mark. It's a lot more severe after the engine warms up.
So for trial, I'm switching to a 20W 50 oil. (As per the manual I was using 10W-40 for the given temperatures where I live and use the bike.)
However, I feel like the engine runs smoother when its' cooler during startup. I'm thinking a heavier oil might work better.

The other thing I noticed is the lack of an O2 sensor. I have searched all of the interwebs but there is nothing concrete about whether I should have an O2 sensor or not. Some say, you don't need an O2 sensor if you are replacing pipes. Some mention welding it in into after market pipes.

However, I did read that the lack of an O2 sensor or malfunctioning O2 sensor can lead to rough idle and/or cruise.

Anyways, 9 years after the beginning of the thread. Anyone have any thoughts ?