Death Wobble at High Speeds

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2007, 02:41 AM
Default Death Wobble at High Speeds

Greetings, my first post, appreciate the resources available here. I'm riding a 2000 Drifter 1500, and not long ago I put a windshield on it, typical curved plexiglass model, and it does its job. The down side is that, from what I recall, before I put on the windshield the bike was rock-solid at post 80 mph speeds, straight or cornering. Since I put the windshield on, when I get to about 83-85 mph, if i induce much in the way of countersteer or shifting of the bike, or leaning into a strong corner, the front wheel begins to oscillate, and if I don't chop the throttle it wil get progressively worse. I haven't gone over 5 seconds without cutting throttle, because you may imagine it gets your attention . If I go straight without dialing in any steering changes the bike seems to hold steady at that speed. It did this with the old tires, and I have new VenomX tires on and it does the same thing.

It seems probably the windshield is causing this in some way, perhaps all the wind loading is causing the bike to get too light in front or something, but it is definitely a nasty shock when this happens, and it is hard to ignore the fact that that problem lurks in the background. I am going to remove the winshield and confirm the problem goes away, but I am almost positive it will. My options may include a different windshield style or a mini-faring or something, not sure. Just wondered if anyone had experience this, thanks for any info.

Old 04-24-2007, 03:24 AM
Default RE: Death Wobble at High Speeds

with the windscreen straight up like that i am sure it does cause alot of resistance at that speedand would take the downforce off of the front wheel thus making it wobble that way

Old 04-24-2007, 10:55 PM
ALF

I'd say it's the windshield. I would think that the wind is trying to lift the front like you say, I don't really notice it on my bike, then again I'm not in the habit of making hard corners on a 1600 Nomad at 85+ mph. Your conclusion is probably correct.

Old 04-25-2007, 03:58 AM

Thanks for the response. I wouldn't characterize them as "hard" cornering , but my buddy was riding a K1200GT and he just tended to forget I was behind him, fogging away, snicker. Long, sweeping curves, and any movement of the wheel would cause it. I'm also pretty sure it is the windshield. That speed is a low percentage speed most of the time, but I hate to have the potential there. I may explore some type of fairing/windshield that would be more aerodynamic...probably almost anything else would be . I also rode with two 2005-6 Drifters, full-dress this weekend, and they were niiiiiiice...there is always trading up .

Old 04-27-2007, 10:12 PM
ALF

By the way, good looking bike.

Old 06-01-2007, 06:31 PM

Before you blame it all on the windshield check out the spokes on that bad boy. You may have a few getting ready to go south on you.

Jumpman

Old 06-02-2007, 11:27 AM

Had my 01 1500 classic @ 100 MPH and it seems fine, but not sure what it would do in corners that fast.I will say that my windshield brings in some funny air, because I can't wear a helmet without the wind buffering.Doesn't matter if it's a full face or 1/2 helmet.They tell me if I put some lowers on, it might help.Might be an option for you.Cool looking bike.
Sirloin

Old 06-17-2007, 05:04 PM

Riding my 1500 Classic with no windshield, I have experienced something similar. Of course the speeds I am looking at are 95-110 MPH } I determined that at the higher speeds I was leaning back due to the wind and holding the bars tighter, and the wind which hits you randomly wouldcause the wobble. I straightened out my body a little and didn't rely on the bars keeping me upright so much, and no wobble (at least not as bad)

Old 09-04-2007, 07:04 PM

It is your windshield. You will find it has been mounted slightly off dead centre ie the windshield is not sitting in the centre of your handle bars. It will be out by about 1/4 inch or so to the left or the right.The wind is placing more pressure on the side that has more screen on it. This is what causes the wobbles. Check to see that it is exactly central with the midline of the bike and handle bars.

The buffetting you are experiencing will be fixed by putting on lowers. The wind comes up under your screen, hits your legs and is directed up your body to the side of your head / helmet. The uneven wind coming from both sides causes the buffetting.

To test this ride along at a decent speed 60mph / 100km/h and place your left lower arm accross your chest with your hand flat palm facing down to block any wind coming from below. This should stop / reduce the buffetting. If it does you will benefit from fitting lowers - but get decent sized lowers. Many of the OEM lowers only reduce the buffetting slightly, that is why many people make there own or buy aftermarket lowers.

Byjingo

Old 12-03-2007, 10:47 PM

i've done about 100mph on my drifter and no wobble or anything, also has a windshield on it...