Clutch Spring Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2009, 03:43 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Clutch Spring Replacement

So, the old clutch was starting to slip on my 2001 Drifter 1500. Mileage was dropping and when I'd gun it, it'd slip. I got the Meanstreak spring, the two part holders, and all the gaskets ( http://www.vulcandrifterriders.com/clutchparts.html ). I lined up my tools, and dug in. I followed Gadgets instructions (Thanks Gadget! http://www.gadgetjq.com/clutch_spring_replacement.htm ) and in fairily short order I was looking at a pile of parts on the floor. Now, it is said that this job is much easier if you have an air wrench to remove "the nut" with. Fortunately, I do! Unfortunately, it chose that exact moment to break! Thanks to the link on Gadgets page, I was able to muscle it off the old fashioned way.........and no, I didn't even use my "pursuader" (hammer). Once that was done, it all went back together pretty well, and in a few hours I was riding again. I took my time and used pretty much all of last evening to do it. It makes quite a difference in the positive engagement of the clutch.

I just wanted to offer some reassurence to anyone out there considering the same job. I'm mechanically inclined, but I haven't done any big time work on bikes since high school, and that was MANY moons ago. To top it off, thanks to my tool breaking, I did this the hard way. I'm here to tell ya though, it wasn't too bad! I wouldn't hesitate to do it again, and I'll probably have to one day as I don't plan on selling my baby. So anyways, go ahead, give it a shot. I'm glad I did!

Old 08-09-2009, 04:24 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

show us the how to pics and we can place them in the diy section. Congrats on the repairs.

Old 08-10-2009, 01:13 PM
1st Gear Member

Sorry, but I didn't take pics. I'll tell ya though, it's exactly like Gadget said it'd be.